Difference between revisions of "Neville House"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Building Name:''' Neville House[[File:Neville house.jpg|thumb|right|320x256px|Neville House standing beside original Neville Homestead, (196-). UA PC 9 no. 51 (9).]]
+
'''Building Name:''' Neville House[[File:Neville house.jpg|thumb|right|320x256px]]
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Neville
 
'''Other Names:''' Neville
Line 17: Line 17:
 
'''Named for:''' Fred. L. Neville, who lived 91 years in the [[Neville Homestead]] and was the last generation of Nevilles which owned the farm where the residence quad now stands.
 
'''Named for:''' Fred. L. Neville, who lived 91 years in the [[Neville Homestead]] and was the last generation of Nevilles which owned the farm where the residence quad now stands.
  
[[File:Neville house2.jpg|thumb|right|256x337px|Fred Neville turning sod for construction of Neville House, 1960. UA PC-4 no. 8x.]] '''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Unknown
+
[[File:Neville house2.jpg|thumb|right|256x337px]] '''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Unknown
  
 
'''[[:File:1NevilleHouseplaque.jpg|Plaque Inscription]]:''' Neville House - The land on which this and neighbouring residences are built was long known as the Neville farm. First settled by the Neville family in 1850, it was deeded to the University of New Brunswick in 1944 by Mr. Fred L. Neville, who farmed it for the greater part of his life. In 1960 this building was named in tribute to his long and loyal association with this university.
 
'''[[:File:1NevilleHouseplaque.jpg|Plaque Inscription]]:''' Neville House - The land on which this and neighbouring residences are built was long known as the Neville farm. First settled by the Neville family in 1850, it was deeded to the University of New Brunswick in 1944 by Mr. Fred L. Neville, who farmed it for the greater part of his life. In 1960 this building was named in tribute to his long and loyal association with this university.
Line 29: Line 29:
  
 
{{Copyright}}
 
{{Copyright}}
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Fredericton]][[Category:Residences]]
+
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Fredericton]]<br/>[[Category:Residences]] [[Category:UNB Fredericton]]

Revision as of 15:11, 23 July 2015

Building Name: Neville House

Neville house.jpg

Other Names: Neville

Civic Address: 16 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: 18 May 1960 by Fred Neville

Cornerstone Laying: [1960?]

Opened for Use: [1961?]

Official Opening: [1961?]

Architect: Larson and Larson

Named for: Fred. L. Neville, who lived 91 years in the Neville Homestead and was the last generation of Nevilles which owned the farm where the residence quad now stands.

Neville house2.jpg

Renovations/changes/additions: Unknown

Plaque Inscription: Neville House - The land on which this and neighbouring residences are built was long known as the Neville farm. First settled by the Neville family in 1850, it was deeded to the University of New Brunswick in 1944 by Mr. Fred L. Neville, who farmed it for the greater part of his life. In 1960 this building was named in tribute to his long and loyal association with this university.

Notes: Originally built as an all-male residence, Neville House merged with Jones House upon its closure in 2006 and became Neville/Jones House. The residence was closed for the 2010/11 academic year, and reopened in the fall of 2011 as a co-ed residence. Neill House is the twin of Neville House.

Source(s):

  • Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721, Item 29.
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Neville House.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014