Difference between revisions of "Canadian Officers Training Corps"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 7: Line 7:
 
'''Prominent date(s) of activity:''' 1915 - 1952
 
'''Prominent date(s) of activity:''' 1915 - 1952
  
'''History:''' The New Brunswick University Contingent of the C.O.T.C. was officially formed in November of 1915. The contingent fluctuated in enrolment and activity over the next few years, as many enlisted in the military and travelled to Europe to participate in the First World War.
+
'''History:''' The New Brunswick University Contingent of the C.O.T.C. was officially formed in November of 1915. The original objective of the contingent was to supply the active militia with officers by providing elementary military training to university students. Those students that succeeded in training were exempt from certain aspects of training upon later joining the militia.
 +
 
 +
The contingent fluctuated in enrolment and activity over the next few years, as many enlisted in the military and travelled to Europe to participate in the First World War.
  
 
The UNB Contingent was disbanded for reorganization in the fall of 1920 but was immediately reorganized and continued its normal activities.
 
The UNB Contingent was disbanded for reorganization in the fall of 1920 but was immediately reorganized and continued its normal activities.
Line 30: Line 32:
  
 
*UNB Contingent COTC Scrapbook, 1915-1945.
 
*UNB Contingent COTC Scrapbook, 1915-1945.
 +
*''The University Monthly'', vol. 35, no. 3, December 1915, p. 9-10
 
*''Up the Hill,'' 1938, Organizations.
 
*''Up the Hill,'' 1938, Organizations.
 
*''Up the Hill, ''1940, Organizations.
 
*''Up the Hill, ''1940, Organizations.

Revision as of 08:57, 1 August 2014

This article is a stub. The content provided is authoritative, but the entry still needs more work before it can be considered complete.


Name: C.O.T.C. Officers

Previous/other names: Canadian Officers' Training Corps

Prominent date(s) of activity: 1915 - 1952

History: The New Brunswick University Contingent of the C.O.T.C. was officially formed in November of 1915. The original objective of the contingent was to supply the active militia with officers by providing elementary military training to university students. Those students that succeeded in training were exempt from certain aspects of training upon later joining the militia.

The contingent fluctuated in enrolment and activity over the next few years, as many enlisted in the military and travelled to Europe to participate in the First World War.

The UNB Contingent was disbanded for reorganization in the fall of 1920 but was immediately reorganized and continued its normal activities.

Activities: The UNB Contingent supplied the Guard of Honour for the openings of the New Brunswick Provincial Legislature.

During the Second World War the C.O.T.C. increased in size and importance reaching the highest membership total since being founded during the First World War. In the summer of 1940 the C.O.T.C. travelled to Camp Sussex for two weeks to train. The college time-table was revised for the next fall semester to provide more time for training and participation became compulsory for all male students registered at UNB. The University began to give credit for "Military Subjects" such as Signaling and Artillery. 

In the fall of 1942, Sunday parades became a weekly affair.

After the Second World War, the C.O.T.C. quickly moved toward a much smaller contingent of 48 Officer-Cadets chosen by a Selection Board of Faculty members. There was no organized training during the winter of 1946 as the University waited for reorganizational instructions from the Canadian government.

Instead of physically training throughout the school year, these students were paid to participate in a sixteen week training camp over the summer holiday. During the year, they attended weekly training in essential military theory.

Note(s): The C.O.T.C. benefitted from the new Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium, which provided space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.

In 1942, the University Air Training Corps was also established on campus enrolling approximately one third of male students at UNB.

In 1947, the University Naval Training Division was formed on campus.

Source(s):

  • UNB Contingent COTC Scrapbook, 1915-1945.
  • The University Monthly, vol. 35, no. 3, December 1915, p. 9-10
  • Up the Hill, 1938, Organizations.
  • Up the Hill, 1940, Organizations.
  • The Brunswickan, vol. 60, no. 11, 17 January 1941, p. 1.
  • Up the Hill, 1941, Organizations.
  • Up the Hill, 1942, War Effort.
  • The Brunswickan, vol. 65, no. 14, 14 February 1946, p. 1.
  • Up the Hill, 1947, Organizations.
  • The Brunswickan, vol. 69, no. 2, 17 October 1949, p. 1.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014