Difference between revisions of "Aitken House"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(7 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
 
'''Building Name:''' Aitken House[[File:Aitken House2.jpg|thumb|right|400x315px|Aitken House doorway at Christmas time. UA PC 9 no. 59 (1).]]
 
'''Building Name:''' Aitken House[[File:Aitken House2.jpg|thumb|right|400x315px|Aitken House doorway at Christmas time. UA PC 9 no. 59 (1).]]
  
Line 21: Line 22:
 
'''[[:File:Aitkenhouseplaque.jpg|Plaque Inscription]]:''' Aitken House - This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership. [[File:Aitken House1.jpg|thumb|right|320x272px|Colin Mackay and Lady Jean Campbell unveil the Aitken House plaque, May 1958. UA PC-4 no. 7d (1). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]
 
'''[[:File:Aitkenhouseplaque.jpg|Plaque Inscription]]:''' Aitken House - This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership. [[File:Aitken House1.jpg|thumb|right|320x272px|Colin Mackay and Lady Jean Campbell unveil the Aitken House plaque, May 1958. UA PC-4 no. 7d (1). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]
  
'''Notes:''' The building was created as the architectural twin of [[Jones House]]. Aitken House is an all-male residence.
+
'''Notes:''' The building was created as the architectural twin of [[Jones_House|Jones House]]. Aitken House is an all-male residence.
 +
 
 +
Residents of Aitken House were involved in an hour-long [[Aitken_Animals_Food_Fight|food fight]] in [[Lady_Dunn_Hall|Lady Dunn Hall]] in January of 1977.
  
 
'''Source(s):'''
 
'''Source(s):'''
  
*<span style="color: #000000;">Leroux, John.</span> ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''.<span style="color: #000000;">Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.</span>
+
*"Aitken Animals strike again." ''The Brunswickan,'' vol. 111, no. 15, 1977, p. 4.
*Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.
+
*''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.  
*UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House
+
*Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.  
 +
*UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House  
 +
 
 +
{{Copyright}}<br/> <br/> <br/> &nbsp;
  
{{Copyright}}
+
[[Category:Buildings]] [[Category:Fredericton]] [[Category:Residences]] [[Category:UNB Fredericton|UNB_Fredericton]]
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Fredericton]][[Category:Residences]][[Category:Aitken Family|Aitken_Family]][[Category:Lord Beaverbrook|Lord_Beaverbrook]]
 

Latest revision as of 16:15, 8 February 2019

Building Name: Aitken House

Aitken House doorway at Christmas time. UA PC 9 no. 59 (1).

Other Names: Aitken

Civic Address: 14 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: 15 May 1957 by Premier Hugh John Flemming

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1957]

Opened for Use: 15 September 1958

Official Opening: 15 September 1958

Architect: Associated Designers and Inspectors (later known as ADI Ltd.)

Named for: William Maxwell Aitken, first Baron Beaverbrook: Chancellor of UNB 1947-1964

Renovations/changes/additions: The plaque naming the residence in honor of Lord Beaverbrook was unveiled on 14 May 1958.

Plaque Inscription: Aitken House - This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership.

Colin Mackay and Lady Jean Campbell unveil the Aitken House plaque, May 1958. UA PC-4 no. 7d (1). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.

Notes: The building was created as the architectural twin of Jones House. Aitken House is an all-male residence.

Residents of Aitken House were involved in an hour-long food fight in Lady Dunn Hall in January of 1977.

Source(s):

  • "Aitken Animals strike again." The Brunswickan, vol. 111, no. 15, 1977, p. 4.
  • Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.
  • Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014