Building Name: Sir Leonard Tilley Hall
Other Names: Tilley Hall, Tilley
Civic Address: 9 Macaulay Lane
Sod Turning: [1967?]
Cornerstone Laying: 16 May 1967 by Mrs. H.P. MacKeen, granddaughter of Sir Leonard Tilley
Opened for Use: 1967
Official Opening: [1967?]
Architect: Larson and Larson
Named for: Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley, former Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick, born in Gagetown, NB and a legislature between 1856 and 1867, serving as premier 1861-1865 and 1866-1867.
Notes: Tilley is home to the Dean of Arts office, the departments of History, Sociology, Culture and Languages, Political Science, and the Gregg Centre for Conflict Studies. The opening of the Ken Windsor Memorial Seminar Room and Library took place 29 May 1982. Singer Hall was attached to the south wall of the building in 1987. The Alfred G. Bailey Auditorium was named in honour of the first dean of arts on 27 May 1993.
Named Spaces: C. James Richardson Graduate Seminar Room (8), Professor C. James Richardson taught in the Department of Sociology form 1975-2003 and chair of the department from 1996-2002. The room was furnished by the sociology department in his memory.
Peter M. McGahan Seminar Room (13), The naming honours Peter M. McGahan in recognition of a most distinguished academic career in teaching and research in sociology and a professional commitment to graduate students and faculty. He served as a member of the Fredericton faculty from 1970-1984 and the UNBSJ faculty fro 1984-1997, also serving as assistant dean of the School of Graduate Studies in Fredericton.
Nels Anderson Room (19), This room is named to honour Sociology professor Nels Anderson who was on the faculty from 1965-1977. He endowed the Department of Sociology with a legacy that is dispersed to graduate students by the Nels Anderson Research Fund.
Gregg Centre Seminar Room (48), The seminar room is associated with the Brigadier Milton F. Gregg VC Centre for the Study of War and Society. Milton F. Gregg was born in Kings County, New Brunswick and served in World War I and World War II. Gregg was President of UNB from 1944-1947, MP for York-Sunbury, and served in cabinet positions as minister of fisheries, veterans affairs, and labour.
Alfred G. Bailey Auditorium (102), Alfred Goldsworthy Bailey was the first permanent professor of history at UNB (1937) and was head of the History Department, Dean of Arts, Honorary Librarian, and Vice-President (Academic).
Kenneth N. Windsor Memorial Seminar Room and Library (123), Professor Kenneth N. Windsor taught in the History Department from 1967-1979. He was a popular don of Harrison House as well, and his memory, his family, friends, and students donated the funds to create this memorial room opened in 1982. The room houses his person library and his family continues to support the memorial.
Ross Darling Computer Lab (201), Professor W. Ross Darling taught at the business administration faculty for 32 years, serving as assistant dean as well. He initiated the computer labs in the faculty in 1983 and was responsible for the design of the computer lab in Singer Hall.
A Jeyaratnam Wilson Seminar Room (207), Named in 2004 for Dr. A.J. Wilson, a professor emeritus in political science at UNB and an internationally renowned scholar, teaching from 1970-1994. Wilson was a pioneering member of the International Development Studies Program and is credited with piloting the Department of Political Science through its formative phase.
TSX Boardroom (300), This was the Student Investment Fund board room. A donation by the Toronto Stock Exchange was applied to the technology and furnishings to the room.
IBE Centre (BMO) (332), The Integrated Business and Entrepreneurship Centre is supported by the BMO Financial Group (Bank of Montreal).
- UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 2; Tilley Hall.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), April - September 1967.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), July - September 1969.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014