Name of Structure: Poets' Corner
Date Unveiled: 15 May 1947
Named for: Sir Charles G.D. Roberts, Bliss Carman, and Francis Joseph Sherman, all former students of the University of New Brunswick, helped the local Fredericton area to become known as "The Poets' Corner of Canada."
Event/Occasion/Significance: The monument was erected by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, and it was unveiled during the Encaenia week events.
Plaque Inscription/Text Associated: In memory of Bliss Carman, 1861-1929, Sir Charles G. D. Roberts, 1860-1943, Frances Joseph Sherman, 1871-1926. Born in or near Fredericton, educated in this university and buried in the cemetery on Forest Hill. Their gifts of verse enriched Canadian literature and gained for their common birthplace the designation 'The Poets' Corner of Canada.
Bliss Carman: 1861-1929 Sir Charles Roberts: 1860-1943 Sir Joseph Sherman: 1871-1926
Notes: The memorial commemorates the outstanding contributions and achievements of three poets who were once students at UNB. The monument consists of engraved stone and a bronze tablet stating the reasons behind the memorial. New Brunswick's Premier J.B. McNair, Lieutenant-Governor D.L. MacLaren, Rt. Hon. Vincent Massey, former High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, and Dr. J.C. Webster, Chairman of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, were present at the initial unveiling of the monument in 1947. It was because of Dr. J. C. Webster's efforts that the project became a reality, and he gave the ceremony's introductory speech. Dr. Milton F. Gregg, President of UNB, also made an address. The Fredericton Chamber of Commerce Band provided music at the event.
In November 2012, the site was commemorated again with the official opening of Jacob's Yard.
- Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 1; File 207; Item 7
- UA CASE 121
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014