Building Name: Edith G. McLeod House
Other Names: New Brunswick Residence Cooperative Building, Singles Cooperative, McLeod House
Civic Address: 810 Montgomery St.
Sod Turning: Spring 1969
Cornerstone Laying: N/A
Opened for Use: February 1970
Official Opening: 4 April 1970; 16 October 1974 (re-opened and re-named under UNB management)
Architect: Tampold and Wells (original building); Associated Designers and Inspectors (renovations).
Named for: Edith G. McLeod, Registrar Emerita, secretary to the president from 1927-1945, University Registrar 1946-1968.
Renovations/changes/additions: In summer 1974, renovations included the addition of a dining hall on the ground floor (completed after the official opening in October 1974) along with expanded laundry facilities, a mail room, a large lounge, a general purpose room, washrooms, storage and service areas.
Notes: McLeod House is the twin building to Magee House. Construction on the building was halted in June 1969, when cracks were found on one of the floors of the twin residences. The building was originally under the purview of the New Brunswick Residence Cooperative, with UNB assuming management in 1973. Renovations during the summer of 1974 turned the building into an all-female residence providing accommodations for more than 200 women.
- UA Case 122; Section 3; McLeod House.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), April - June 1969
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), January - March 1970
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), April - June 1970
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012