Difference between revisions of "Forestry and Geology Building"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (linking; changed geology to department)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Building Name:''' Forestry and Geology Building[[File:Forestry geology building.jpg|thumb|right|400x311px]]
+
'''Building Name:''' Forestry and Geology Building[[File:Forestry geology building.jpg|thumb|right|400x311px|Forestry geology building.jpg]]
  
 
'''Other Names:''' FNG
 
'''Other Names:''' FNG
Line 15: Line 15:
 
'''Architect:''' H. Claire Mott
 
'''Architect:''' H. Claire Mott
  
'''Named for:''' Housing the Faculty of [[Faculty_of_Forestry_and_Environmental_Management|Forestry]] and Department of [[Faculty_of_Geology|Geology]].
+
'''Named for:''' Housing the Faculty of [[Faculty of Forestry and Environmental Management|Forestry]] and Department of [[Faculty of Geology|Geology]].
  
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' In fourth floor added in 1947/1948. The [[MacKenzie Research Wing]], a four story extension wing, was opened in January 1970 and was built to serve teaching and research purposes, including laboratories and classroom space. A.L. McAllister Conference Room dedicated to Dr. McAllister (12 September 2003)
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' In fourth floor added in 1947/1948. The [[MacKenzie Research Wing]], a four story extension wing, was opened in January 1970 and was built to serve teaching and research purposes, including laboratories and classroom space. A.L. McAllister Conference Room dedicated to Dr. McAllister (12 September 2003)
Line 29: Line 29:
 
*UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1930.
 
*UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1930.
  
{{Copyright}}
+
{{Copyright}}<br/><br/>
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Fredericton]]<br/>[[Category:Department of Forestry and Environmental Management|Forestry and Geology]]<br/>[[Category:Department of Earth Sciences|Forestry and Geology]]
+
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Fredericton]]<br/>[[Category:Department of Forestry and Environmental Management|Forestry and Geology]]<br/>[[Category:Department of Earth Sciences|Forestry and Geology]] [[Category:UNB Fredericton]]

Revision as of 11:58, 23 July 2015

Building Name: Forestry and Geology Building

Forestry geology building.jpg

Other Names: FNG

Civic Address: 2 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: May 1929

Cornerstone Laying: 1929

Opened for Use: September 1930

Official Opening: 12 May 1931 (dedication) by then Premier J.B.M Baxter ; 25 October 1972 (dedication of research wing)

Architect: H. Claire Mott

Named for: Housing the Faculty of Forestry and Department of Geology.

Renovations/changes/additions: In fourth floor added in 1947/1948. The MacKenzie Research Wing, a four story extension wing, was opened in January 1970 and was built to serve teaching and research purposes, including laboratories and classroom space. A.L. McAllister Conference Room dedicated to Dr. McAllister (12 September 2003)

Notes: Home to the Department of Forestry, Forest Engineering, Entomology, Geology and Geophysics. Originally built at 30,000 square feet and 156 feet by 86 feet, construction on an addition to the building was halted for a week in 1969 when a labour dispute caused members of the International Union of Bricklayers, Masons and Plasterers to walk off the job.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 42-43.
  • Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 73.
  • UA Case 123, Box 1.
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), July 1969 - September 1969.
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1930.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014