MacKenzie Research Wing

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Building Name: The Graham MacKenzie Geology Research Wing

Mrs. Graham Mackenzie unveiling plaque dedication, 25 October 1972. PR; Series 1; Sub-series 6; Item 7633.

Other Names: MacKenzie Research Wing

Civic Address: 2 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: Spring 1969

Cornerstone Laying:

Opened for Use: January 1970

Official Opening: 25 October 1972

Architect: Unknown

Named for: Graham Stewart MacKenzie, Head of Geology until his death in 1960.

Renovations/changes/additions: In 1976-77 the New Forestry Building was connected via skywalk to the MacKenzie Research Wing.

Plaque Inscription: The Graham MacKenzie Research Wing This wing is dedicated to the memory of Graham S. MacKenzie, B.Sc., M.A., PH.D., LL.D., F.R.S.C., Professor of Geology in the university from 1937 to 1960. A graduate of the University of Manitoba and Toronto, Dr. MacKenzie enjoyed an international reputation as a scholar and played a major role in the discovery of base metal deposits in northern New Brunswick. He was respected by all for his kindness and courtesy, his modesty and wit, and his unselfish dedication to his discipline, his profession, and the university.

Notes: The Graham MacKenzie Research Wing matches the original architecture of the Forestry and Geology Building to which it was added. Construction to the extension was halted for a week in 1969 when a labour dispute caused members of the International Union of Bricklayers, Masons and Plasterers to walk off the job.


  • Plaque Inscription: UNB Public Relations Dept. Photograph Collection, Series 1, Sub-series 7, Item 7695
  • UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1.
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), July 1969 - September 1969.

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014