Difference between revisions of "Engineering Building"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
(4 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 13: Line 13:
 
'''Official Opening:''' 26 March 1901
 
'''Official Opening:''' 26 March 1901
  
'''Architect:''' G. Ernest Fairweather (original building); ADI, Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Albert Stevens (connecting addition to [[Electrical Engineering Building]])
+
'''Architect:''' G. Ernest Fairweather (original building); ADI, Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Albert Stevens (connecting addition to [[Electrical_Engineering_Building|Electrical Engineering Building]])
  
 
'''Named for:''' Being the first building to house sciences and engineering.
 
'''Named for:''' Being the first building to house sciences and engineering.
  
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Interior remodeled and hydraulics laboratory added to the building (1924); an addition in 1957 joined together the two existing engineering buildings, and was designed by UNB professors Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Howard McFarlane, and Albert Stevens, in conjunction with Associated Designers and Inspectors (ADI) Ltd.
+
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Interior remodeled and hydraulics laboratory added to the building (1924); an addition in 1957 joined together the two existing engineering buildings and was designed by UNB professors [[Ira_Beattie|Ira Beattie]], [[Robert_H.B._McLaughlin|Robert H.B. McLaughlin]], [[Howard_McFarlane|Howard McFarlane]], and [[Albert_Stevens|Albert Stevens]], in conjunction with Associated Designers and Inspectors (ADI) Ltd.
  
'''Notes:''' A time capsule was placed under the cornerstone in 1900. The building is now a section of the engineering complex [[Sir Edmund Head Hall|Head Hall]].
+
'''Notes:''' A time capsule was placed under the cornerstone in 1900. The building is now a section of the engineering complex [[Sir_Edmund_Head_Hall|Head Hall]].
  
 
'''Source(s):'''
 
'''Source(s):'''
  
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 32-35.</span>
+
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 32-35.</span>
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Montague, Susan. ''A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick''. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 59, 154.</span>
+
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">Montague, Susan. ''A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick''. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 59, 154.</span>
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">UA Case 123; Section 3; Head Hall.</span>
+
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">UA Case 123; Section 3; Head Hall.</span>
 
*UA Case 123; Section 1; Chronological Listing of Buildings.
 
*UA Case 123; Section 1; Chronological Listing of Buildings.
  
{{Copyright}}
+
{{Copyright}}<br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/>
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Fredericton]][[Category:Faculty of Engineering|Faculty_of_Engineering]][[Category:Department of Mechanical Engineering|Department_of_Mechanical_Engineering]]
+
[[Category:Buildings]] [[Category:Fredericton]] [[Category:Faculty of Engineering]] [[Category:Department of Mechanical Engineering]] [[Category:UNB Fredericton|UNB_Fredericton]]

Revision as of 15:33, 8 January 2016

Building Name: Engineering Building

Engineering and Science Building, [between 1952-1956]. UA RG 350; Series 8; Sub-series 1; File 2; UNB24.

Other Names: Science and Engineering Building; Civil and Mechanical Engineering Building.

Civic Address: 17 Dineen Dr.

Sod Turning: May 1900

Cornerstone Laying: 31 May 1900

Opened for Use: 1901

Official Opening: 26 March 1901

Architect: G. Ernest Fairweather (original building); ADI, Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Albert Stevens (connecting addition to Electrical Engineering Building)

Named for: Being the first building to house sciences and engineering.

Renovations/changes/additions: Interior remodeled and hydraulics laboratory added to the building (1924); an addition in 1957 joined together the two existing engineering buildings and was designed by UNB professors Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Howard McFarlane, and Albert Stevens, in conjunction with Associated Designers and Inspectors (ADI) Ltd.

Notes: A time capsule was placed under the cornerstone in 1900. The building is now a section of the engineering complex Head Hall.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 32-35.
  • Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 59, 154.
  • UA Case 123; Section 3; Head Hall.
  • UA Case 123; Section 1; Chronological Listing of Buildings.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014