Difference between revisions of "College Library"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
+
'''Building Name:''' College Library[[File:Old Arts Library.jpg|thumb|right|450x355px|The library in the Old Arts Building (Sir Howard Douglas Hall), [after 1876]. UA PC-10 no. 14.]]
'''Building Name:''' College Library[[File:Old|thumb|450x355px|right|The library in the Old Arts Building (Sir Howard Douglas Hall), (after 1876). UA PC-10 no. 14.]]
 
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Library, University of New Brunswick Library
 
'''Other Names:''' Library, University of New Brunswick Library
Line 18: Line 17:
 
'''Named for:''' Housing the various books, collections and works donated and purchased by the University.
 
'''Named for:''' Housing the various books, collections and works donated and purchased by the University.
  
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Space on the second floor of the [[Old Arts Building|Old Arts Building ]]was designed for library use in 1842. In 1876 the library was moved to the newly built third floor as the volume of books continued to increase. This third floor space was also used as a multi-purpose room while the library was contained there. Upon the opening of the [[Engineering Building]] in 1901 and the move of the engineering and physics department into their new quarters, the library doubled its space.
+
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Space on the second floor of the [[Old Arts Building|Old Arts Building was]] designed for library use in 1842. In 1876 the library was moved to the newly built third floor as the volume of books continued to increase. This third floor space was also used as a multi-purpose room while the library was contained there. Upon the opening of the [[Engineering Building]] in 1901 and the move of the engineering and physics department into their new quarters, the library doubled its space.
  
 
'''Notes:''' The library was housed within the [[Old Arts Building]] until the [[Bonar Law-Bennett Library|University Library]] was constructed in 1929.
 
'''Notes:''' The library was housed within the [[Old Arts Building]] until the [[Bonar Law-Bennett Library|University Library]] was constructed in 1929.
  
 
'''Source(s):'''
 
'''Source(s):'''
* <span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Montague, Susan. ''A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick''. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 29.</span>
+
 
* UA Case 123; Section 3; Old Arts Building.
+
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Montague, Susan. ''A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick''. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 29.</span>
* UA Case 132. Section 4; General History.
+
*UA Case 123; Section 3; Old Arts Building.
* MacKirdy, Kenneth A. "The Formation of the Modern University, 1859-1906". In ''The University of New Brunswick Memorial Volume'', ed. Alfred G. Bailey. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1950, p. 44
+
*UA Case 132. Section 4; General History.
:  
+
*MacKirdy, Kenneth A. "The Formation of the Modern University, 1859-1906". In ''The University of New Brunswick Memorial Volume'', ed. Alfred G. Bailey. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1950, p. 44
:
+
 
 +
::
 +
 
 
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012
 
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012
 +
[[Category:Pages with broken file links]]

Revision as of 14:03, 22 May 2014

Building Name: College Library

The library in the Old Arts Building (Sir Howard Douglas Hall), [after 1876]. UA PC-10 no. 14.

Other Names: Library, University of New Brunswick Library

Civic Address: N/A

Sod Turning: N/A

Cornerstone Laying: N/A

Opened for Use: 1842

Official Opening: 1842 (in the Old Arts Building)

Architect: N/A

Named for: Housing the various books, collections and works donated and purchased by the University.

Renovations/changes/additions: Space on the second floor of the Old Arts Building was designed for library use in 1842. In 1876 the library was moved to the newly built third floor as the volume of books continued to increase. This third floor space was also used as a multi-purpose room while the library was contained there. Upon the opening of the Engineering Building in 1901 and the move of the engineering and physics department into their new quarters, the library doubled its space.

Notes: The library was housed within the Old Arts Building until the University Library was constructed in 1929.

Source(s):

  • Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 29.
  • UA Case 123; Section 3; Old Arts Building.
  • UA Case 132. Section 4; General History.
  • MacKirdy, Kenneth A. "The Formation of the Modern University, 1859-1906". In The University of New Brunswick Memorial Volume, ed. Alfred G. Bailey. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1950, p. 44

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012