Carleton Hall

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Revision as of 11:04, 4 November 2022 by Lgrandy (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Building Name: Thomas Carleton Hall

Front entrance of Carleton Hall with crest and portico, [between 1960 and 1961]. UA PC 9 no. 39 (4). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.

Other Names: Carleton Hall, Thomas Carleton Hall, New Arts Building

Civic Address: 19 Macaulay Lane

Sod Turning: 14 May 1959 by K.C. Irving

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1959] with Louis J. Robichaud

Opened for Use: 1960

Official Opening: 19 October 1960 by Lord Beaverbrook

Architect: Larson and Larson

Named for: Thomas Carleton, was the Governor of New Brunswick (1784 - 1817), who granted a charter in 1800 to found an academy of arts and sciences in colonial New Brunswick. Carleton provided provided the college with 2400 hectares of land.

Renovations/changes/additions: The Margaret C. Sheldrick Room opened 2 February 1963 by K. Douglas Sheldrick in memory of his mother.

Plaque Inscription: Thomas Carleton Hall - Named in memory of Thomas Carleton, Governor, Captain-General, and Commander-In-Chief of the province of New Brunswick, who established the Academy of Liberal Arts and Sciences in response to a petition of December 13th, 1785, presented by United Empire Loyalists in the first college building. Situated on Brunswick Street, he provided the means for instruction, and set aside as an endowment, in the environs of Fredericton, some six thousand acres of land. Largely through his efforts the Academy received a provincial charter on February 12th, 1800, as the College of New Brunswick. For these acts of foresight and benevolence his name is honoured in the annals of this university.

Side view and parking lot of Carleton Hall, [between 1960 and 1961]. UA PC 9 no. 39 (7). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.

Notes: Carleton Hall was built to house the Faculty of Arts. Currently it is home to the Department of Classics and Ancient History, the Department of English, and the Department of Philosophy.  The family coat of arms of Thomas Carleton adorns the face of the building.

Named Spaces: Cogswell's Corner (part of the English Department lounge, 249), A corner of the English Department lounge was named to honour the late Professor Fred Cogswell. Cogswell joined UNB's English Department in 1952 and soon became the editor of "The Fiddlehead" which he had helped to found when was an undergraduate. From 1961-1981, Cogswell served as publisher served as publisher of Fiddlehead Poetry Books.


  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.
  • Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721; Item 11.
  • UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Carleton Hall.

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014