Building Name: Thomas Carleton Hall
Other Names: Carleton Hall, Thomas Carleton Hall, New Arts Building
Civic Address: 19 Macaulay Lane
Sod Turning: 14 May 1959 by K.C. Irving
Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1959] with Louis J. Robichaud
Opened for Use: 1960
Official Opening: 19 October 1960 by Lord Beaverbrook
Architect: Larson and Larson
Named for: Thomas Carleton, Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick (1784 - 1817), who proposed a charter to found an academy of arts and sciences in colonial New Brunswick.
Renovations/changes/additions: The Margaret C. Sheldrick Room opened 2 February 1963 by K. Douglas Sheldrick in memory of his mother.
Plaque Inscription: Thomas Carleton Hall - Named in memory of Thomas Carleton, Governor, Captain-General, and Commander-In-Chief of the province of New Brunswick, who established the Academy of Liberal Arts and Sciences in response to a petition of December 13th, 1785, presented by United Empire Loyalists in the first college building. Situated on Brunswick Street, he provided the means for instruction, and set aside as an endowment, in the environs of Fredericton, some six thousand acres of land. Largely through his efforts the Academy received a provincial charter on February 12th, 1800, as the College of New Brunswick. For these acts of foresight and benevolence his name is honoured in the annals of this university.
Notes: Carleton Hall was built to house the Faculty of Arts. Currently it is home to the Department of Classics and Ancient History, the Department of English, and the Department of Philosophy. The family coat of arms of Thomas Carleton adorns the face of the building.
- Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.
- Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721; Item 11.
- UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Carleton Hall.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014