Difference between revisions of "Bridges House"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 30: Line 30:
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012

Revision as of 13:34, 29 May 2014

Building Name: Bridges House

Man entering Bridges House. UA PC 9a no. 3 (2). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.

Other Names: Bridges

Civic Address: 45 Mackay Dr.

Sod Turning: [ca. 1961]

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1961]

Opened for Use: [ca. 1961]

Official Opening: [ca. 1961]

Architect: Larson and Larson

Named for: The brothers Henry Seabury Bridges (BA; MA; PhD; LLD; Professor of Classics at UNB 1881-1895) and Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges (BA; MA; LLD; Principal of the Provincial Normal School 1906-1933)

Renovations/changes/additions: Plaque unveiled on 3 October 1962 dedicating Bridges House in memory of the Drs. Bridges.

Plaque inscription: Bridges House Named in memory of Henry Seabury Bridges, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., LL.D., Professor of Classics in the University of New Brunswick, 1881-1895. Superintendent of Saint John city schools, 1896-1926; and of his brother, Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges, B.A., M.A., LL.D., Principal of the Provincial Normal School, 1906-1933. Of old New England stock, resident from early days in the Valley of the St. John, they were guided throughout their lives by high ideals of public service. Gifted with administrative talents, they also excelled as teachers in a Province where teaching had long been practiced as an art.

Notes: Bridges House is currently a co-ed residence which raises money for the IWK with their annual Polar Dip.


  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.
  • Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Dept. Photograph Collection, Series 2, Sub-series 3, File 721, no. 6.
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Bridges House.

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012