Building Name: Aitken House
Other Names: Aitken
Civic Address: 14 Bailey Dr.
Sod Turning: 15 May 1957 by Premier Hugh John Flemming
Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1957]
Opened for Use: 15 September 1958
Official Opening: 15 September 1958
Architect: Associated Designers and Inspectors (later known as ADI Ltd.)
Named for: William Maxwell Aitken, first Baron Beaverbrook: Chancellor of UNB 1947-1964
Renovations/changes/additions: The plaque naming the residence in honor of Lord Beaverbrook was unveiled on 14 May 1958.
Plaque Inscription: Aitken House - This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership.
Notes: The building was created as the architectural twin of Jones House. Aitken House is an all-male residence.
- "Aitken Animals strike again." The Brunswickan, vol. 111, no. 15, 1977, p. 4.
- Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.
- Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.
- UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014