William Brydone Jack
Nicknames/Other names: Manus - (because of the way he pronounced 'minus' in his Scottish accent)
- Bachelor of Science - University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Scotland
- Doctor of Civil Laws (1855) - University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB, Canada
Years Employed: 1840 - 1885
- Professor of Mathematics & Natural Philosophy (1840 - 1861)
- Professor of Mathematics, Natural Philosophy, & Astronomy (1861 -
- President (1861 - 1885)
Activities/Contributions: Jack spearheaded the initiative to procure a telescope in 1847 and to erect an observatory in 1851.
- MacNutt, W. Stewart. "The University in the Twentieth Century." The University of New Brunswick Memorial Volume. Ed. Alfred G. Bailey. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1950, pp. 26 - 40.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014