UNB Faculty Club
Prominent date(s) of activity:
History: The Faculty Club was a response to the rapid growth of the University following the Second World War. As the faculty grew in number it became more fragmented and dispersed across campus into "faculties" - the Faculty Club was an attempt to provide the UNB Faculty with a common meeting ground. The Observatory was refurbished and furnished with a coffee bar and furniture.
A decade later, the Faculty Club was moved to the third floor of the Old Arts Building.
After a steady decline in membership the Faculty Club space was converted to the University Club in 1983, though it continued thereafter as an organization without an official space, renting out facilities such as the University Club for events.
Activities: Originally, faculty paid a membership fee for Faculty Club privileges. Memberships were available to the faculty and staff of UNB, the Teachers' College, and Saint Thomas University
- The Brunswickan, vol. 72, no. 2, 16 October 1952, p. 1.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictoral History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 255.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014