Building Name: F. J. Toole Hall
Other Names: Toole Hall, Chemistry Building
Civic Address: 30 Dineen Dr.
Sod Turning: 27 October 1955
Cornerstone Laying: 16 May 1956 by then Lieutenant-Governor David MacLaren
Opened for Use: 1957
Official Opening: 15 May 1958
Architect: Marani & Morris (original building), Larson and Larson (extension)
Named for: Dr. Frank J. Toole, the Dean of Chemistry at the time of the building’s completion in the 1950s (named May 14, 1973)
Renovations/changes/additions: A new extension was completed Winter 1970 which provided for more undergraduate laboratories and increased room for graduate and faculty research facilities. A fire and explosion on December 24, 1970 destroyed two laboratories and a lecture hall in the new extension of Toole Hall. A renovation over two floors which completely renewed undergraduate labs and several other areas of the chemistry building occurred between April and October of 2006. In early 2012 the auditorium in Toole Hall also received an update.
Notes: Toole Hall is home to the Department of Chemistry. On September 18, 2007 a new undergraduate lab was dedicated in honor of Dr. Zdenek Valenta, a nationally recognized organic chemist and former professor at UNB.
- Leroux, John. Building a University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 85.
- UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 2; Toole Hall.
- Alumni News. "Chemistry Building Named." Summer 1973, p. 3.
- Janes, Judy. "Fire Caused by Faulty Heating." The Brunswickan, 105(13): 15 January 1971, p. 3.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), July - September 1969.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014