Student Society of Mechanical Engineers
Previous/other names: N/A
Prominent date(s) of activity: ca. 1950? - present
History: UNB began offering Bachelor of Science Degrees in Mechanical Engineering in 1950. Mechanical Engineering was the third Engineering specialty offered at the university, after Civil and Electrical Engineering.
Activities: The Student Society of Mechanical Engineers sponsors guest lectures, fields sports teams, hosts social events, and tours various industries in the province.
Since 1974 the society has hosted an annual Coaster Derby, where Engineering students race gravity powered cars that the members build themselves. The race begins at the South Gym, and finishes at the Lady Beaverbook Gym, a one kilometer distance with a 55 story drop in elevation.
- UA Case 173.
- Student Union, Clubs and Activities, [Student Society of Mechanical Engineers]
- The Brunswickan, vol. 70, no. 1, 1950, p. 1.
- Up the Hill, 1996, p. 24.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 135, no. 3, 2002, p. 11.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 143, no. 4, 2009, p. 3.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014[Category:Departmental Societies|Student Society of Mechanical]]