Road Names

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Name origins of streets and roads on the UNB Fredericton campus.

Bailey Drive: Alfred G. Bailey was the first permanent professor of history at UNB (1937) and was also head of the history department, dean of arts, honourary librarian, and vice-president (academic).

Dineen Drive: James O. Dineen was from Hampton, New Brunswick and joined the electrical engineering department at UNB in 1942. Dineen was head of electrical engineering department from 1951-1957, dean of engineering from 1857-1969, and president of UNB from 1969-1972.

Duffie Drive: Msgr. Donald C. Duffie was president of St. Thomas University at the time (1961-1975) of the move of that university from Chatham to the UNB campus in Fredericton in 1964.

Garland Court: Professor Eric C. Garland taught civil engineering at UNB starting in 1955 and served as assistant vice-president (administration), director of planning, and associate vice-president (administration). Garland was responsible for the construction and maintenance of all UNB's buildings and property.

Macaulay Lane: Dr. Beverley F. Macaulay was born on Grand Manan, New Brunswick and from 1951-1957 served as UNB business manager and secretary to the Senate. Macaulay returned to UNB as vice-president (administration) from 1961-1974, overseeing the construction of more than thirty new buildings.

Mackay Drive: Colin B. Mackay was a lawyer from Saint John, New Brunswick who served as president of UNB from 1953-1969 and was made president emeritus in 1978.

Pacey Drive: W.C. Desmond Pacey came to UNB in 1944 as professor and head of the department of English. Pacey served as dean of graduate studies (1960-1970), vice-president academic (1970-1975), and acting president (1972-1973).

Peter Kelley Drive: Peter Kelly became director of athletics at UNB in 1947 and served 28 years in that position. Kelly had been a professional hockey player and golfer and was inducted into the New Brunswick Sports Hall of fame in 1978.

Sources: University of New Brunswick (Fredericton Campus), "Building, Field and Road Names, Named Spaces Within Buildings," Prepared for Office of Chief Advancement Officer and Office of Development and Donor Relations by Peter C. Gough, October 2007.