Redsticks Field Hockey
Previous/other names: N/A
Prominent date(s) of activity: 1962 - present
History: The Redsticks began competing in Maritime Intercollegiate Competitions in 1962, boasting two championships in their first two years. By 1968 the team had won six of their first seven Maritime Intercollegiate Competitions.
Activities: The team competes in the Atlantic University Field Hockey League, runs a weekly co-ed recreational indoor league, and hosts an annual indoor field hockey tournament.
Note(s): In 1996 five members of the Redsticks were named to the AUAA All-Star team.
In 2000, in partnership with Field Hockey Canada, the Varsity Reds created a full time field hockey coaching position, with Sherry Doiron stepping into the position. Doiron had previously served as Assistant Coach of the field hockey team at Carleton Univeristy, and as Head Coach of the Eastern Ontario High Performance Regional field hockey team.
- Student Union, Clubs and Societies, [Redstick Field Hockey]
- UNB Scrapbook (AU RG 100), October 1962.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 96, no. 9, 1963, p. 14.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 102, no. 9, November, 1968, p. 14.
- Up the Hill, 1996, p. 109.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 134, no. 1, 2000, p. 17.
- UNB Student Union Clubs & Societies Handbook, Redsticks Field Hockey, .
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014