Marshall d'Avray Hall
Building Name: Marshall d’Avray Hall
Other Names: Marshall D, New Brunswick Teachers’ College
Civic Address: 10 Mackay Dr.
Sod Turning: [1963?]
Cornerstone Laying: [1964?]
Opened for Use: September 1964
Official Opening: 29 September 1964 (Teacher’s College); 16 May 1974 (dedication as Marshall d'Avray Hall)
Architect: Architectural Branch, New Brunswick Department of Public Works.
Named for: Joseph Marshall, Baron d’Avray, principal of the first teacher-training school on New Brunswick.
Renovations/changes/additions: Plaque honoring Principals of Teachers College unveiled 14 July 1984; major renovations in 1999 created space for the Eaton Multimedia Centre, Audio Visual Services, and the Teaching and Learning Centre.
Plaque Inscription: "Marshall d'Avray Hall Named in memory of Joseph Marshall de Brett Baron d'Avray, professor of modern languages and literature in this university 1848-1871. As principal of the first Normal School 1848-1850, he was founder of the teacher training in the province of New Brunswick."
Notes: The building was originally built under the auspices of New Brunswick Teacher's College on the UNB campus and was a separate educational institution from the University until 1973, when it merged with UNB and became the location of the Faculty of Education. The building is also home to Adult Learners, Part-time Students, Centre for Enhanced Teaching and Learning, Early Childhood Centre, Mi'kmaq-Maliseet Institute, NB Centre for Educational Administration, Second Language Research Institute of Canada, and more.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, pp. 180.
- UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Marshall d'Avray Hall.
- Plaque Inscription: UA PC 11 no. 12 (1).
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014