Maggie Jean Chestnut House
Building Name: Maggie Jean Chestnut House
Other Names: Maggie Jean, MJC, Carriage House, Renaissance College
Civic Address: 811 Charlotte St.
Sod Turning: N/A
Cornerstone Laying: N/A
Opened for Use: September 1949 (UNB)
Official Opening: 28 October 1949 as women's residence; 21 October 2000 as Renaissance College
Architect: Ashley A. Colter (contractor) converted the private home into a residence; Douglas Jonsson, provincial architect (addition in 1959).
Named for: Maggie Jean Chestnut (BA 1927), who advanced the cause of a women’s residence and was a prominent member of the Alumnae Society.
Renovations/changes/additions: During the summer it was purchased, it was converted from a home into a residence style building in 1949. Over 1956 - 1957 the building was enlarged with an addition which connected the “Barn” in the rear of the lot to the main building. Repairs and renovations to the wiring and fire safety took place in 1982. The building was renovated in the late 1990s in anticipation of housing the newly created Renaissance College.
Plaque Inscription: This property, including land and buildings, was donated to the Associated Alumnae of the University of New Brunswick for a girls' residence by Lord Beaverbrook in April 1949. This house was altered and equipped by the Alumnae and friends and named, at His Lordship's request, in memory of a graduate, Maggie Jean Chestnut. It was opened in September 1949. Another unit, The Barn , was opened in 1950. The Alumnae presented the property to the University in 1952, by which it is now administered.
Notes: The first residence (off campus) for women at UNB. The house was originally built by the Chestnut family and then owned by the Bliss family until they sold it to the Bank of Montreal, which used the building to house the local branch managers. The building was bought by Lord Beaverbrook in the late 1940s, who then donated the house to the Associated Alumnae on the condition that they pay for the necessary renovations and equipping the building for use as a residence. 'The Barn' (carriage house) was converted by the Alumnae Society in May 1950 into rooms, bathrooms and reception halls. The illuminated plaque (scroll) was unveiled by Muriel Farris Baird past president of the Alumnae Society on 8 October 1957. The scroll was illuminated by Dr. C.A. MacVey and was a gift from Annie Tibbits Chestnut. In 1979 the residence became co-ed. The house was closed between 1998 and 2000 while being renovated and reopened as the home of the Renaissance College while it continued to act as a student residence.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 134.
- UA Case 122; Section 3; Maggie Jean Chestnut House.
- UNB Scrapbook (UA RG 100), September 1949 - August 1950.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014