Name of Structure: MacLaren Gates
Other Names: North Gates
Location: On University Ave. facing Beaverbrook St.
Date Unveiled: 8 October 1957 by Dr. Ian MacLaren
Named for: Murray MacLaren, former Lieutenant-Governor of NB and his son Ian MacLaren.
Plaque Inscription/Text Associated: These gates are a gift from the Honourable Murray MacLaren C.M.G., B.A., M.D., LL.D, sometime Lieut-Governor of this province and his son Ian M. MacLaren M.C., M.Sc., LL.D., both graduates of this university.
Notes: Donated by the MacLarens for $5000 apiece. Soon after being presented, the gates were vandalized by students from Mount Allison University prior to a football game, to the effect of $1000 in damages.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 155.
- Plaque Inscription: UNB Public Relations Dept. Photograph Collection, Series 2, Sub-series 3, File 721, no. 23.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), September - December 1957.
- UA Case 121; Section 3; Gates.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014