Mabel Sterling was one of eleven children of Alexander Sterling, High Sheriff of York County, and his wife Sarah Haws. Sterling earned her BA in 1896, and in the same year, all 21 women graduates of the University thus far were invited to join the Associated Alumni. From 1926-28 Sterling was President of the Alumnae Society. In May 1930 the UNB Senate appointed Sterling as Librarian for the new Bonar Law-Bennett Library. She remained in that post until ill health forced her retirement in 1941. In 1939 she was selected on behalf of the Alumnae Society to give the Alumni Oration at UNB's Encaenia, the first time a woman had done so at any Canadian university.
Mabel Sterling was a life member of the UNB Alumnae Society and a charter member of the Governor Carleton Chapter of the IODE. She died in November 1947 at age 71 after an illness of several years.
- Jones, Ted. "York County Sheriff Sterling and his family." Daily Gleaner 23, November 2002.
- University Monthly, vol. 16, no. 1, October 1896, p. 21.
- Alumni Bulletin, vol. 6, no. 2, 20 June 1928, p. 9.
- Alumni Bulletin, vol. 8, no. 1, 30 June 1930, p. 12.
- [UNB Class Composite and Group Photographs Database]
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014