Blood Processing Laboratory
Name: Blood Processing Laboratory
Prominent date(s) of activity: 1941 - ?
History: The Blood Processing Laboratory was a key component of the Voluntary Blood Donor Service organized by the Red Cross in the province of New Brunswick. The Department of Biology was equipped with refrigeration, power centrifuges, incubators, and sterilizers using funds provided by the Government and the University Senate. The program was directed by Professor Argue and Dr. Hoar, and Miss Frances Crocker, a graduate of UNB, was in charge of the technical phases carried out in the laboratory.
The laboratory received and tested blood donations from bleeding clinics in Saint John, Fredericton, and Moncton before processing the blood to pooled serum. Many women associated with UNB volunteered their services assembling bleeding sets, sharpening needles, washing bottles and rubber tubing, etc.
The students of UNB were incredibly active in the donating of blood during this period. Reportedly ninety-eight percent of male students donated blood during the 1941-1942 school year.
Note(s): Beginning mid-March 1941, students began reporting to the Department of Biology to have their blood typed and recorded so that, if necessary, they could be called upon to donate in the future.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 60, no. 20, 21 March 1941, p. 1.
- Up the Hill, 1942, War Effort.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 62, no. 9, 20 November 1942, p. 5.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014