Annex A (Muskeg Research Institute)

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Building Name: Annex A

Other Names: MRI, Muskeg Research Institute

Civic Address: 814 Montgomery St.

Sod Turning: N/A

Cornerstone Laying: N/A

Opened for Use: 1968

Official Opening: 1968

Architect: N/A

Named for: Being a subsidiary building and for the Canadian Muskeg research which was housed here.

Renovations/changes/additions: Building moved to Montgomery St. after World War 2. Donated to the university in the 1960s. Building was demolished in Apr 1994 to make room for College Hill Daycare.

Notes: Originally a mess hall in the Minto-Ripples Internment Camp from 1941-1945 and was purchased, along with several other buildings from the Ripples Internment Camp, in August 1946. It served as home of the arctic muskeg research headed by Dr. Norman Radforth, former head of the Department of Biology. The Muskeg Research Institute was established in 1968 under the auspices of Dr. Norman Radforth, a biologist at UNB, and was terminated September 1973.


  • UA Case 123, Box 2.
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), January - November 1946.
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1 October - 31 December 1969
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1 October - 31 December 1971
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1 July - 30 Septenber 1973

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014