100th Anniversary of the Naming of the University of New Brunswick
Name of Memorial/Commemoration: 100th anniversary of the naming of the University of New Brunswick
Location: At the rear entrance of the Old Arts Building
Date Unveiled: 13 May 1959
Named for: N/A
Event/Occasion/Significance: Unveiling of plaque to mark the 100th anniversary of the naming of the University of New Brunswick.
Plaque Inscription/Text Associated: On April 13, 1859, the Legislature of New Brunswick passed an act transforming King's College into the University of New Brunswick. This event marked an epoch in the long history of the provincial university, which had been established in 1785 as the Academy of Liberal Arts and Sciences and, from 1800 to 1828, had borne the name of the College of New Brunswick. Unveiled by the Honourable J. Leonard O'Brien, Lieutenant-Governor, Encaenia 1959.
Notes: Lieutenant Governor J. Leonard O'Brien unveiled the plaque as part of Encaenia Week activities. Also present at the ceremony was university president Colin B. Mackay.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014