Building Name: Engineering Building
Other Names: Science and Engineering Building; Civil and Mechanical Engineering Building.
Civic Address: 17 Dineen Dr.
Sod Turning: May 1900
Cornerstone Laying: 31 May 1900
Opened for Use: 1901
Official Opening: 26 March 1901
Architect: G. Ernest Fairweather (original building); ADI, Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Albert Stevens (connecting addition to Electrical Engineering Building)
Named for: Being the first building to house sciences and engineering.
Renovations/changes/additions: Interior remodeled and hydraulics laboratory added to the building (1924); an addition in 1957 joined together the two existing engineering buildings, and was designed by UNB professors Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Howard McFarlane, and Albert Stevens, in conjunction with Associated Designers and Inspectors (ADI) Ltd.
Notes: A time capsule was placed under the cornerstone in 1900. The building is now a section of the engineering complex Head Hall.
- Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 32-35.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 59, 154.
- UA Case 123; Section 3; Head Hall.
- UA Case 123; Section 1; Chronological Listing of Buildings.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012