Engineering Building

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Revision as of 16:25, 3 November 2022 by Lgrandy (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Building Name: Engineering Building

Engineering and Science Building, [between 1952-1956]. UA RG 350; Series 8; Sub-series 1; File 2; UNB24.

Other Names: Science and Engineering Building; Civil and Mechanical Engineering Building.

Civic Address: 17 Dineen Dr.

Sod Turning: May 1900

Cornerstone Laying: 31 May 1900

Opened for Use: 1901

Official Opening: 26 March 1901

Architect: G. Ernest Fairweather (original building); ADI, Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Albert Stevens (connecting addition to Electrical Engineering Building)

Named for: Being the first building to house sciences and engineering.

Renovations/changes/additions: Interior remodeled and hydraulics laboratory added to the building (1924); an addition in 1957 joined together the two existing engineering buildings and was designed by UNB professors Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Howard McFarlane, and Albert Stevens, in conjunction with Associated Designers and Inspectors (ADI) Ltd.

Notes: A time capsule was placed under the cornerstone in 1900. The building is now a section of the engineering complex Head Hall.

Named Sources: Dr. J. Herbert Smith-General Electric Canada Inc. Seminar Room (224), J. Herbert Smith, from Fredericton, New Brunswick, and spent his engineering career with Canadian General Electric, becoming president and CEO. The seminar room is attached to the Dr. J. Herbert Smith/ ACOA Chair in technology management and entrepreneurship centre which is funded by an endowment from Smith and in partnership with Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency.


  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 32-35.
  • Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 59, 154.
  • UA Case 123; Section 3; Head Hall.
  • UA Case 123; Section 1; Chronological Listing of Buildings.

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014