Difference between revisions of "Bridges House"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with " '''Building Name:''' Bridges Housethumb|320x392px|right|Man entering Bridges House. UA PC 9a no. 3 (2). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd. '''Other...")
 
(added photo citation)
 
(8 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
+
'''Building Name:''' Bridges House[[File:Bridges house.jpg|thumb|right|320x392px|Man entering Bridges House. UA PC 9a no. 3 (2). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]
'''Building Name:''' Bridges House[[File:bridges_house.jpg|thumb|320x392px|right|Man entering Bridges House. UA PC 9a no. 3 (2). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]
 
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Bridges
 
'''Other Names:''' Bridges
Line 16: Line 15:
 
'''Architect:''' Larson and Larson
 
'''Architect:''' Larson and Larson
  
'''Named for:''' The brothers Henry Seabury Bridges (BA; MA; PhD; LLD; Professor of Classics at UNB 1881-1895) and Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges (BA; MA; LLD; Principal of the Provincial Normal School 1906-1933)
+
'''Named for:''' The brothers [[Henry Seabury Bridges|Henry Seabury Bridges]] (BA; MA; PhD; LLD; Professor of [[Department of Classics and Ancient History|Classics]] at UNB 1881-1895) and [[Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges|Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges]] (BA; MA; LLD; Principal of the Provincial Normal School 1906-1933)
  
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Plaque unveiled on 3 October 1962 dedicating Bridges House in memory of the Drs. Bridges.
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Plaque unveiled on 3 October 1962 dedicating Bridges House in memory of the Drs. Bridges.
  
[[file:BridgesHouseplaque.jpg|thumb|Plaque inscription:]]Bridges House Named in memory of Henry Seabury Bridges, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., LL.D., Professor of Classics in the University of New Brunswick, 1881-1895. Superintendent of Saint John city schools, 1896-1926; and of his brother, Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges, B.A., M.A., LL.D., Principal of the Provincial Normal School, 1906-1933. Of old New England stock, resident from early days in the Valley of the St. John, they were guided throughout their lives by high ideals of public service. Gifted with administrative talents, they also excelled as teachers in a Province where teaching had long been practiced as an art.
+
'''[[:File:BridgesHouseplaque.jpg|Plaque inscription]]:''' Bridges House Named in memory of Henry Seabury Bridges, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., LL.D., Professor of Classics in the University of New Brunswick, 1881-1895. Superintendent of Saint John city schools, 1896-1926; and of his brother, Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges, B.A., M.A., LL.D., Principal of the Provincial Normal School, 1906-1933. Of old New England stock, resident from early days in the Valley of the St. John, they were guided throughout their lives by high ideals of public service. Gifted with administrative talents, they also excelled as teachers in a Province where teaching had long been practiced as an art.
  
'''Notes:''' Bridges House is currently a co-ed residence which raises money for the IWK with their annual Polar Dip.
+
'''Notes:''' Bridges House is currently a co-ed residence which raises money for the IWK with their annual [[Bridges House Polar Dip|Polar Dip]].
  
 
'''Source(s):'''
 
'''Source(s):'''
* Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of'' ''UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.
 
* Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Dept. Photograph Collection, Series 2, Sub-series 3, File 721, no. 6.
 
* UA Case 122; Section 3; Bridges House.
 
  
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012
+
*Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of'' ''UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.
 +
*Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Dept. Photograph Collection, Series 2, Sub-series 3, File 721, no. 6.
 +
*UA Case 122; Section 3; Bridges House.
 +
 
 +
{{Copyright}}<br/><br/><br/>
 +
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Fredericton]]<br/>[[Category:Residences]]<br/>[[Category:UNB Fredericton|UNB_Fredericton]]

Latest revision as of 15:37, 2 September 2015

Building Name: Bridges House

Man entering Bridges House. UA PC 9a no. 3 (2). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.

Other Names: Bridges

Civic Address: 45 Mackay Dr.

Sod Turning: [ca. 1961]

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1961]

Opened for Use: [ca. 1961]

Official Opening: [ca. 1961]

Architect: Larson and Larson

Named for: The brothers Henry Seabury Bridges (BA; MA; PhD; LLD; Professor of Classics at UNB 1881-1895) and Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges (BA; MA; LLD; Principal of the Provincial Normal School 1906-1933)

Renovations/changes/additions: Plaque unveiled on 3 October 1962 dedicating Bridges House in memory of the Drs. Bridges.

Plaque inscription: Bridges House Named in memory of Henry Seabury Bridges, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., LL.D., Professor of Classics in the University of New Brunswick, 1881-1895. Superintendent of Saint John city schools, 1896-1926; and of his brother, Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges, B.A., M.A., LL.D., Principal of the Provincial Normal School, 1906-1933. Of old New England stock, resident from early days in the Valley of the St. John, they were guided throughout their lives by high ideals of public service. Gifted with administrative talents, they also excelled as teachers in a Province where teaching had long been practiced as an art.

Notes: Bridges House is currently a co-ed residence which raises money for the IWK with their annual Polar Dip.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.
  • Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Dept. Photograph Collection, Series 2, Sub-series 3, File 721, no. 6.
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Bridges House.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014