Details: The Latin around the edge is an abbreviation of Sigillum Universitatis Novi Brunsvici, stating that it is the seal of the University of New Brunswick, while the inscriptions on the open book are from the Bible; the left-hand page of the book is in Hebrew, and the right-hand in Greek. Both inscriptions are identical and read: "In the Beginning, God Created the Heavens and the Earth...and the Spirit of God moved upon the Face of the Earth." The three clouds at the base of the seal were added by Rudolph Ruzicka in the redesign of the original seal in 1968.
The 1864 seal consisted of a shield divided by a chevron with two open books at the top and a Latin cross at the base. A dove descending, partially surrounded by rays of light, hovered over this image. The university's motto Sapere Aude (Dare to be Wise) appeared on a scroll below the shield.
History:The original seal dates to when the university received its provincial charter as the College of New Brunswick and was continually used until 1859, after which the institution became the University of New Brunswick, with an accompanying seal recast in 1864. The original seal was restored in 1968 on the suggestion of Colin B. Mackay, who observed that the original seal was one of the oldest university seals in Canada and should be maintained for current use. This seal appears on all official UNB documents, including contracts, diplomas, and other legal documents.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 190-191.
- UNB Emblems, [UNB Seal]
- UA Case 128; Section 2; File 2.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014