Sir Douglas Hazen Hall

From Archives and Special Collections
Jump to: navigation, search
Building Name: Sir Douglas Hazen Hall
Sir Douglas Hazen Hall, May 1969. From UA PC 9e; Item no. 3 (6).
Other Names: Hazen Hall

Civic Address: 100 Tucker Park Road, Saint John

Sod Turning: Unknown

Cornerstone Laying: Unknown

Opened for Use: 1969

Official Opening: 1969

Architect: Myles, Mott and Chatwin (?)

Named for: Sir John Douglas Hazen (1860-1937): UNB graduate (1879); mayor of Saint John (1887); MP for Saint John (1891-1896); MLA for Sunbury County (1899-1911); NB Premier (1908-1911); Federal Minister of Marine and Fisheries (1911-17); appointed Chief Justice of NB in 1917; knighted in 1918; honorary degree from UNB (LL.D 1908).

Renovations/changes/additions: Renovations to Hazen Hall Lecture Theatre in the Summer of 2006 included new lighting, audio visual equipment, and seating.

Notes: One of the three original buildings of the Tucker Park campus, Hazen Hall is the home of the Faculty of Arts.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 180; Section 4; File 6.
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100); 1 October 1968 - 31 December 1968; 11 November 1968.
  • Pacey, Desmond. "The Humanist Tradition." The University of New Brunswick Memorial Volume. Ed. Alfred G. Bailey. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1950, p. 57-68.
  • [UNB Honorary Degrees Database]


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014