Enterprise Building 1
Other Names: Incutech Complex, Dr. Jack McKenzie Limerick Pulp and Paper Research and Education Centre, Industrial Research Centre in Pulping Technology, Forest Biology Laboratory, Federal Science Service Laboratory.
Civic Address: 2 Garland Ct.
Sod Turning: June 1952
Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1952]
Opened for Use: 4 January 1954
Official Opening: 29 January 1954 by the Hon. Milton F. Gregg, V.C.,former president of UNB and then Federal Minister of Labour; 11 March 1988 by Gerald Merrithew (Federal minister of state for forestry and mines) in presentation of keys to the building to UNB President James Downey; 27 May 1994 (dedicated)
Architect: Designed in 1951 by the Dominion of Canada Department of Public Works
Named for: Dr. Jack MacKenzie Limerick, UNB graduate (BA 1931; MA 1934; D.Sc. 1994); its use as part of Enterprise UNB
Notes: Built for the Science Service division of the Department of Agriculture of Canada, the building sits on the site of the old Crocket property, which was given to the University by W.W. Boyce. In 1988 the building, along with eight others, was given to UNB by the Canadian Forestry Service and thus became a research centre known as the Incutech Complex, which housed office and laboratory space for "technologically intensive businesses". In 1991 the building was host to the Industrial Research Centre in Pulping Technology, established by the Departments of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry at UNB. The building was designated the Dr. Jack McKenzie Limerick Pulp and Paper Research and Education Centre in 1994, with the mandate of encouraging education and research in the pulp and paper industry. The building's name changed again in 2002 when the Incutech Complex became Enterprise UNB, and the building designated the Enterprise Building.
- UA Case 123, Section 3, Box 1; Enterprise Building.
- Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 63.
- UNB Perspectives, April 1988, vol. 14, no. 8, p. 2.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 264.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1930s-1950s.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014