Edward Winslow (Plaque and Room)

From Archives and Special Collections
Jump to: navigation, search
This entry is currently under development. Please do not consider the entry authoritative until it has been completed.


Name of Memorial/Commemoration: Winslow Plaque

Other Names:

Location: Formerly located in the Bonar-Law Bennett Library of the University but moved to the Harriett Irving Library

Date Unveiled: 16 May 1957

Artist/Creator: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada

Named for: Honourable Edward Winslow, one of the Loyalist founders of New Brunswick
Winslow Plaque in its former location, the Bonar-Law Bennett Library, taken during the plaque's official unveiling ceremony in 1957. UA RG 340; Series 1; File 1957-37B. Photo Credit: Joe Stone and Son Ltd.

Event/Occasion/Significance: The bronze tablet was created by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada in memory of Edward Winslow, scion, and one of the Loyalist founders of New Brunswick. Dr. Alfred G. Bailey '27, dean of arts, represented the Board at the official unveiling ceremony in 1957.

Plaque Inscription/Text Associated: Edward Winslow Fourth in descent from Governor Edward Winslow of Plymouth, Colony, he served as Muster-Master-General of the Loyalist forces in the Revolutionary war. In 1783 he supervised the settlement of the disbanded regiments in the valley of the Saint John. A founder of this province and of Fredericton, he became a member of his Majesty's council in 1784. Appointed to the first council of the college of New Brunswick in 1800 and to the supreme court in 1807, he served in 1808 as president of the government of New Brunswick. Born in Plymouth, Mass., 20th February, 1746 Died at Kingsclear, N.B. 13th May, 1815

Notes: J.J. Fraser Winslow, Q.C., '98, a direct descendant of Edward Winslow, unveiled the plaque. Also present at the official unveiling on 16 May 1957 were professor Mason Wade, director of the Canadian Studies program at the University of Rochester, who acted as guest speaker at the event, and President Colin B. Mackay, who introduced Prof. Wade.

On 22 October 1984, the Winslow Room was established as a space where students and researchers could consult historical materials, such as indexes, manuscripts, and rare books, collected in the archives of the library. It is located on the fifth floor of the Harriet Irving Library. Also included among these documents are the Winslow papers, which consists of personal letters, military instructions, diaries, and 7600 pages of papers concerning a wide range of subjects. James Downey, UNB president, and Charlotte Winslow, a great-great-great granddaughter of Edward Winslow, cut the red tape to officially open the room. Also present at the tape-cutting ceremony were Dr. A.G. Bailey, who helped to obtain and preserve archives, and B.J. Grant, who developed an index to the Winslow Family Papers.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 133, Section 3; File 8.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014