Difference between revisions of "Ward Chipman Building"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Building Name:''' Ward Chipman Building [[File:Ward Chipman Building.jpg|thumb|right|320x240px|Ward Chipman Building, 1969. From UA PC 9e; Item no. 3 (5).]] '''Other Names:''' Ward Chipman Hall, Ward Chipman Library
+
'''Building Name:''' Ward Chipman Building [[File:Ward Chipman Building.jpg|thumb|right|320x240px]] '''Other Names:''' Ward Chipman Hall, Ward Chipman Library
  
 
'''Civic Address:''' 100 Tucker Park Road, Saint John
 
'''Civic Address:''' 100 Tucker Park Road, Saint John
Line 24: Line 24:
  
 
{{Copyright}}
 
{{Copyright}}
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Saint John|Ward Chipman]][[Category:Libraries]][[Category:Administration]]
+
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Saint John|Ward Chipman]]<br/>[[Category:Libraries]]<br/>[[Category:Administration]] [[Category: UNB Saint John]]

Revision as of 15:39, 23 July 2015

Building Name: Ward Chipman Building

Ward Chipman Building.jpg

Other Names: Ward Chipman Hall, Ward Chipman Library

Civic Address: 100 Tucker Park Road, Saint John

Sod Turning: Unknown

Cornerstone Laying: 14 May 1968 by New Brunswick Lieutenant-Governor Wallace S. Bird

Opened for Use: 1969

Official Opening: 1969

Architect: Mott, Miles & Chatwin Ltd.

Named for: Ward Chipman (1754-1824), New Brunswick loyalist, Solicitor-General of NB (1784-1808), representative in the NB House of Assembly (1785-93), member of the executive council of NB (1806) and NB Supreme Court judge (1808), President and Commander-in-Chief of NB (1823-24), and one of the original petitioners to establish an academy of arts and sciences in New Brunswick.

Renovations/changes/additions: Unknown

Notes: The first academic building on the Tucker Park campus, the Ward Chipman Building originally served as a student centre, administration building, and library. Upon completion of other buildings, it was used entirely as a library and became the Ward Chipman Library. With the opening of the Hans W. Klohn Commons in 2011 as the new campus library, the former library became known as the Ward Chipman Building.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 180; Section 4; File 4.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014