Difference between revisions of "Sir Edmund Head Hall"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 17: Line 17:
 
<br/>'''Named for:''' Sir Edmund Head, Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick (1848 - 1854); Governor-in-chief of Canada (1854 - 1861)
 
<br/>'''Named for:''' Sir Edmund Head, Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick (1848 - 1854); Governor-in-chief of Canada (1854 - 1861)
  
'''Renovations/changes/additions:'''. A $3,000,000 extension, Sir Edmund Head Hall, was attached to the [[Engineering Building|Engineering building]] in 1966. [[M. Patrick Gillin Hall]] was added to the Windsor Street side of Head Hall in 1989. The[[Computer Science Information Technology Centre|Computer Science Information Technology building]] was built and connected to Head Hall in 2000. Space for a common room and restaurant was created in Head Hall culminating in the "Head Rest", which opened January 2003.
+
'''Renovations/changes/additions:'''. A $3,000,000 extension, Sir Edmund Head Hall, was attached to the [[Engineering Building|Engineering building]] in 1966. [[M. Patrick Gillin Hall]] was added to the Windsor Street side of Head Hall in 1989. The&nbsp;[[Computer Science Information Technology Centre|Computer Science Information Technology building]] was built and connected to Head Hall in 2000. Space for a common room and restaurant was created in Head Hall culminating in the "Head Rest", which opened January 2003.
  
 
'''Notes:''' Head Hall is in actuality an extension built between 1967-1968 which connects to the North side of the [[Engineering Building|Engineering Building]] and now connects the entirety of the engineering and computer science complex, including the [[Electrical Engineering Building|Electrical Engineering building]], the [[Engineering Building]], [[M. Patrick Gillin Hall]], the [[Computer Science Information Technology Centre]], and Sir Edmund Head Hall itself. The Head Hall extension was dedicated to Sir Edmund Head on 12 May 1964. Dineen Auditorium was dedicated to Dr. James Owen Dineen 5 December 1977. The W. Dana Wasson Computing Centre was dedicated to Dr. Dana Wasson 3 June 2003.
 
'''Notes:''' Head Hall is in actuality an extension built between 1967-1968 which connects to the North side of the [[Engineering Building|Engineering Building]] and now connects the entirety of the engineering and computer science complex, including the [[Electrical Engineering Building|Electrical Engineering building]], the [[Engineering Building]], [[M. Patrick Gillin Hall]], the [[Computer Science Information Technology Centre]], and Sir Edmund Head Hall itself. The Head Hall extension was dedicated to Sir Edmund Head on 12 May 1964. Dineen Auditorium was dedicated to Dr. James Owen Dineen 5 December 1977. The W. Dana Wasson Computing Centre was dedicated to Dr. Dana Wasson 3 June 2003.
Line 27: Line 27:
 
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 36, 94, 119.</span>
 
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 36, 94, 119.</span>
 
*UA Case 123, Section 3, Box 1; Head Hall.
 
*UA Case 123, Section 3, Box 1; Head Hall.
 
+
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Fredericton]]
 
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012
 
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012

Revision as of 14:20, 30 May 2014

Building Name: Head Hall

Sir Edmund Head Hall, 1967. UA PC 9a no. 10 (11).

Other Names: Sir Edmund Head Hall, Engineering Building, Civil and Electrical Engineering Building, New Engineering Building

Civic Address: 15 Dineen Dr.

Sod Turning:

Cornerstone Laying: 13 October 1966 (Sir Edmund Head Hall; by Reg Tweedale, Dr. A. Foster Baird, and John Dickie)

Opened for Use:

Official Opening: 15 February 1968 by Lt. Governor Wallace S. Bird

Architect: Larson and Larson

From left to right: Electrical Engineering Building (behind trees), connecting extension, Engineering Building, [between 1957 and 1966]. UA PC 9 no. 32 (6).


Named for: Sir Edmund Head, Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick (1848 - 1854); Governor-in-chief of Canada (1854 - 1861)

Renovations/changes/additions:. A $3,000,000 extension, Sir Edmund Head Hall, was attached to the Engineering building in 1966. M. Patrick Gillin Hall was added to the Windsor Street side of Head Hall in 1989. The Computer Science Information Technology building was built and connected to Head Hall in 2000. Space for a common room and restaurant was created in Head Hall culminating in the "Head Rest", which opened January 2003.

Notes: Head Hall is in actuality an extension built between 1967-1968 which connects to the North side of the Engineering Building and now connects the entirety of the engineering and computer science complex, including the Electrical Engineering building, the Engineering Building, M. Patrick Gillin Hall, the Computer Science Information Technology Centre, and Sir Edmund Head Hall itself. The Head Hall extension was dedicated to Sir Edmund Head on 12 May 1964. Dineen Auditorium was dedicated to Dr. James Owen Dineen 5 December 1977. The W. Dana Wasson Computing Centre was dedicated to Dr. Dana Wasson 3 June 2003.


Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 36, 94, 119.
  • UA Case 123, Section 3, Box 1; Head Hall.

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012