Name of Structure: Sculpture Garden
Date Unveiled: 9 June 1990
Artist/Creator: Claude Roussel, Henry Purdy, Rick Seguin
Named for: N/A
Event/Occasion/Significance: The sculpture garden was officially opened as part of the alumni reunion activities in June of 1990.
Plaque Inscription/Text Associated:
Notes: The University of New Brunswick had considered the idea of a Sculpture Garden since the university purchased Henry Purdy's "Virgin" sculpture under the advisement of Bruno Bobak, an honourary painter-in-residence at UNB. William H.A. Long (BA 1895) made a generous donation and asked that this bequest assist in campus landscaping and beautification. It was after this that the project was set in motion. Financial assistance was also given by the Associated Alumnae. The three sculptures included in the garden, all previously owned by the university, were Claude Roussel's "Man of Science," Henry Purdy's "Virgin," and Rick Seguin's "Norfolk Pike." Two benches and two table-benches were also installed on the site. Two of the three sculptures sustained damages and were removed from the garden - Henry Purdy’s “Virgin” in winter of 1993 and Rick Seguin’s “Norfolk Pine” in the fall of 1994.
- UA Case 121, Section 2.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014