Building Name: President’s Residence
Other Names: President’s House, the Bird property, 58 Waterloo Row
Civic Address: 58 Waterloo Row
Sod Turning: Unknown
Cornerstone Laying: Unknown
Opened for Use: 1910; 1 May 1973 (for UNB)
Official Opening: 1910; 1 May 1973 (for UNB)
Named for: Housing university presidents during their tenure.
Notes: The building is located on land that was originally set aside for UNB, and is situated next to land that was once leased to Benedict Arnold. The house was first owned by a local merchant, Arthur Gibson, and later became the residence of New Brunswick Premier Robichaud and Lieutenant Governor Wallace Bird. The building was purchased by UNB from the provincial government as a “swap” for Somerville House in February 1973, with UNB president John Anderson the first to occupy the house. The building was sold by the university in 2009 and Somerville House once again became the president's residence.
- UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 2; President's Residence.
- UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 2; Somerville House.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 231.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014