Difference between revisions of "Oxford Cottage"
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
Latest revision as of 15:15, 23 July 2015
Building Name: Oxford Cottage
Other Names: N/A
Civic Address: between Alexandra St. and Beaverbrook St.
Sod Turning: N/A
Cornerstone Laying: N/A
Opened for Use: 1783-4?
Official Opening: N/A
Architect: Philip Hanselpacker
Named for: Dr. Edwin Jacob, the first president of King's College, was an Oxford University scholar and lived in the cottage from 1829-1833, which was thereafter known as Oxford Cottage.
Renovations/changes/additions: The building was demolished in October 1995.
Notes: The building was first sold to Gabriel van Horne, Hanselpacker's son-in-law, in 1787. Van Horne later beqeathed the land to his son James in 1818, who later sold the property in 1829 to the Honourable Charles J. Peters, Attorney General of New Brunswick. That same year Edwin Jacob, the first president of King's College, moved into the cottage and lived there until 1833, when his family arrived in Fredericton and larger accommodations were required. Located at the foot of the hill upon which UNB stands, Oxford Cottage was also the home of King's College professor and later president of UNB, William Brydone-Jack. Peters gave the cottage to his daughter Marian Ellen upon her marriage to Brydone-Jack in 1844.
- Hill, Louise. “Miss Hill’s Fredericton.” The Officers’ Quarters, vol. 20, no. 2, Fall/Winter 2003, p. 18-19.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014