Difference between revisions of "Neville Homestead"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
 
(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Building Name:''' Neville Homestead [[File:Neville Farm.jpg|thumb|right|400x275px|Neville Farm on original location, [between 1952-1956]. UA RG 350; Series 8; Sub-series 1; File 2, Box 3, Vol 3; UNB106. Other Names: Neville Farmhouse  Civic Address: 58 Mackay Drive  Sod Turning: N/A  Cornerstone Laying: N/A  Opened for Use: N/A  Official Opening: [1969?] (new location)  Architect: Fred Neville’s great grandfather  Named for: Fred Neville, Caretaker of the UNB grounds.]]
+
[[File:Neville Farm.jpg|thumb|right|400x275px|Neville Farm on original location, [between 1952-1956]. UA RG 350; Series 8; Sub-series 1; File 2, Box 3, Vol 3; UNB106.]]
 +
 
 +
'''Building Name:''' Neville Homestead
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Neville Farmhouse
 
'''Other Names:''' Neville Farmhouse
Line 15: Line 17:
 
'''Architect:''' Fred Neville’s great grandfather
 
'''Architect:''' Fred Neville’s great grandfather
  
'''Named for:''' Fred Neville, Caretaker of the UNB grounds.
+
'''Named for:''' Fred Neville, longtime Caretaker of the UNB grounds starting in 1912.  The Neville farm adjoined the UNB property. The Nevilles provided labour, firewood, and produce to UNB. The Neville  land was brought by UNB to provide space for residence construction.
  
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' The building was moved in 1969 from its original location '''​'''beside [[Neville House]] to the other side of Mackay Dr. to face its former foundation.[[File:Neville farmhouse.jpg|thumb|right|320x254px|Neville farmhouse being moved across the street, 1969. UA PC 9 no. 16 (5). Photo credit: Joe Stone & Son Ltd.]]
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' The building was moved in 1969 from its original location '''​'''beside [[Neville House]] to the other side of Mackay Dr. to face its former foundation.[[File:Neville farmhouse.jpg|thumb|right|320x254px|Neville farmhouse being moved across the street, 1969. UA PC 9 no. 16 (5). Photo credit: Joe Stone & Son Ltd.]]

Latest revision as of 14:33, 31 October 2022

Neville Farm on original location, [between 1952-1956]. UA RG 350; Series 8; Sub-series 1; File 2, Box 3, Vol 3; UNB106.

Building Name: Neville Homestead

Other Names: Neville Farmhouse

Civic Address: 58 Mackay Drive

Sod Turning: N/A

Cornerstone Laying: N/A

Opened for Use: N/A

Official Opening: [1969?] (new location)

Architect: Fred Neville’s great grandfather

Named for: Fred Neville, longtime Caretaker of the UNB grounds starting in 1912. The Neville farm adjoined the UNB property. The Nevilles provided labour, firewood, and produce to UNB. The Neville land was brought by UNB to provide space for residence construction.

Renovations/changes/additions: The building was moved in 1969 from its original location beside Neville House to the other side of Mackay Dr. to face its former foundation.

Neville farmhouse being moved across the street, 1969. UA PC 9 no. 16 (5). Photo credit: Joe Stone & Son Ltd.

Notes: Built in 1876, this house was occupied by Fred Neville for 91 years until his death in 1969. After it was moved, the building served as public relations and information offices. Student Employment Services is currently housed in the Neville Homestead.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 79, 84.
  • Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 63, 166.
  • UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 2; Neville Homestead.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014