McCord Hall

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Revision as of 15:20, 31 October 2022 by Lgrandy (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Building Name: McCord Hall

McCord Hall, 1963. UA PC 9 no. 54 (4). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.

Other Names: Ice House

Civic Address: 7 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: [ca. 1851]

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1851]

Opened for Use: 1851

Official Opening: N/A

Architect: Michael Neville, New Brunswick farmer.

Named for: David McCord, poet, essayist, former executive director of the Harvard Fund who worked to keep the building from being demolished; dedicated 16 May 1963 as McCord Hall.

Renovations/changes/additions: Moved from original location behind Sir Howard Douglas Hall to current location beside the Brydone Jack Observatory in 1959. Restoration in 1963 funded by David McCord.

Notes: Originally an ice house built for the cost just over £100. Used throughout the years as a carpenter’s shed, headquarters of The Fiddlehead, a senior student study room, weekly meeting place of UNB’s creative writers, and most recently as a class room for creative writing and poetry.


  • UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; McCord Hall.

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014