Building Name: MacKenzie House
Other Names: Mack, MacKenzie
Civic Address: 43 Mackay Dr.
Sod Turning: 10 October 1963 by former UNB President Norman A.M. MacKenzie
Cornerstone Laying: 1963
Opened for Use: 1965
Official Opening: 14 October 1965 by Mrs. N.A.M. MacKenzie
Architect: Larson and Larson
Named for: Dr. Norman Archibald MacRae MacKenzie, President of UNB from 1940-1944
: MacKenzie House Named in Honour of Norman Archibald MacRae MacKenzie, C.M.G., M.M. and BaR, Q.C., F.R.S.C., president of this university, 1940-1944, and of the University of British Colombia, 1944-1962. As Chairman of the Wartime International Board, member of the Royal Commission on National Development in the Arts, Letters and Sciences, and many public bodies, he played a leading and constructive role in the growth of Canadian institutions. Distinguished educationist, public servant, and soldier, learned in the law, and noteworthy for his liberal views and broad comprehension of national and international affairs, he was many times deservedly honoured by eminent seats of higher learning, both at home and abroad.
Notes: MacKenzie house is a co-ed residence with an annual Caber Toss to raise money for the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Fredericton-Oromocto.
- Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721; Item 30.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), July - December 1963
- UA Case 122; Section 3; MacKenzie House.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012