Difference between revisions of "Loring Bailey Hall"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Building Name:''' Loring Bailey Hall[[File:Loring Bailey Hall.jpg|thumb|right|400x248px]]
+
'''Building Name:''' Loring Bailey Hall[[File:Loring Bailey Hall.jpg|thumb|right|400x248px|Loring Bailey Hall.jpg]]
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Bailey Hall, Bailey Building, Physics and Biology Building
 
'''Other Names:''' Bailey Hall, Bailey Building, Physics and Biology Building
Line 13: Line 13:
 
'''Official Opening:''' 18 May 1961 (Dedication) by Loring Woart Bailey's grandsons Dr. A.G. Bailey and Loring Withal Bailey
 
'''Official Opening:''' 18 May 1961 (Dedication) by Loring Woart Bailey's grandsons Dr. A.G. Bailey and Loring Withal Bailey
  
'''Architect:''' Larson and Larson [[File:Loring Bailey Hall Cornerstone.jpg|thumb|right|400x332px]] '''Named for:''' Loring Woart Bailey, Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science at UNB, 1861-1907; Research Wing: Charles William Argue, Professor of Biology, Head of the Biology Dept. and Dean of Science.
+
'''Architect:''' Larson and Larson [[File:Loring Bailey Hall Cornerstone.jpg|thumb|right|400x332px|Loring Bailey Hall Cornerstone.jpg]]
 +
 
 +
'''Named for:''' Loring Woart Bailey, Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science at UNB, 1861-1907; Research Wing: Charles William Argue, Professor of Biology, Head of the Biology Dept. and Dean of Science.
  
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' [[C.W. Argue Research Wing]] (Sod turning: 15 May 1969); opened 17 October 1973.
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' [[C.W. Argue Research Wing]] (Sod turning: 15 May 1969); opened 17 October 1973.
  
[[File:LoringBaileyHallplaque.jpg|thumb]] Loring Bailey Hall Named in memory of Loring Woart Bailey, A.M., PH.D., LL.D., F.R.S.C., for 46 years, from 1861 to 1907, Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science, and Professor Emeritus for 17 years thereafter, the longest term of service in the university's history. Born in 1839 at West Point, N.Y., and a graduate of Harvard in the class of 1859, he taught, in masterly fashion, throughout the greater part of his career, the sciences of Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Physics, Chemistry, and Geology. He was elected in 1882 a charter member of the Royal Society of Canada. Through his scientific writings he enriched the intellectual life of his time and enlarged the bounds of knowledge.
+
[[File:LoringBaileyHallplaque.jpg|thumb|LoringBaileyHallplaque.jpg]] Loring Bailey Hall Named in memory of Loring Woart Bailey, A.M., PH.D., LL.D., F.R.S.C., for 46 years, from 1861 to 1907, Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science, and Professor Emeritus for 17 years thereafter, the longest term of service in the university's history. Born in 1839 at West Point, N.Y., and a graduate of Harvard in the class of 1859, he taught, in masterly fashion, throughout the greater part of his career, the sciences of Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Physics, Chemistry, and Geology. He was elected in 1882 a charter member of the Royal Society of Canada. Through his scientific writings he enriched the intellectual life of his time and enlarged the bounds of knowledge.
  
 
'''Notes:''' Bailey Hall houses the [[Connell Memorial Herbarium|Herbarium]] and the [[Greenhouse]] as well as the faculty of Biology and Biochemistry. Room 130 of Bailey Hall was the centre of events surrounding the [[Strax Affair]].
 
'''Notes:''' Bailey Hall houses the [[Connell Memorial Herbarium|Herbarium]] and the [[Greenhouse]] as well as the faculty of Biology and Biochemistry. Room 130 of Bailey Hall was the centre of events surrounding the [[Strax Affair]].

Revision as of 12:54, 20 May 2014

Building Name: Loring Bailey Hall

Loring Bailey Hall.jpg

Other Names: Bailey Hall, Bailey Building, Physics and Biology Building

Civic Address: 10 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: 8 October 1958 by Lord Beaverbrook

Cornerstone Laying: 19 October 1959 by Lord Beaverbrook

Opened for Use: September 1960

Official Opening: 18 May 1961 (Dedication) by Loring Woart Bailey's grandsons Dr. A.G. Bailey and Loring Withal Bailey

Architect: Larson and Larson

Loring Bailey Hall Cornerstone.jpg

Named for: Loring Woart Bailey, Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science at UNB, 1861-1907; Research Wing: Charles William Argue, Professor of Biology, Head of the Biology Dept. and Dean of Science.

Renovations/changes/additions: C.W. Argue Research Wing (Sod turning: 15 May 1969); opened 17 October 1973.

LoringBaileyHallplaque.jpg

Loring Bailey Hall Named in memory of Loring Woart Bailey, A.M., PH.D., LL.D., F.R.S.C., for 46 years, from 1861 to 1907, Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science, and Professor Emeritus for 17 years thereafter, the longest term of service in the university's history. Born in 1839 at West Point, N.Y., and a graduate of Harvard in the class of 1859, he taught, in masterly fashion, throughout the greater part of his career, the sciences of Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Physics, Chemistry, and Geology. He was elected in 1882 a charter member of the Royal Society of Canada. Through his scientific writings he enriched the intellectual life of his time and enlarged the bounds of knowledge.

Notes: Bailey Hall houses the Herbarium and the Greenhouse as well as the faculty of Biology and Biochemistry. Room 130 of Bailey Hall was the centre of events surrounding the Strax Affair.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 123; Section 3; Box 1; Bailey Hall.
  • The Brunswickan 108(7): 19 October 1973, pg. 4.
  • Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721; Item 13.
  • UNB Scrapbook (UA RG 100), October - December 1973.

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012