Difference between revisions of "Harriet Irving Library"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
Line 17: Line 17:
 
'''Named for:''' Harriet (MacNairn) Irving (1899 - 1976), wife of New Brunswick industrialist K.C. Irving.
 
'''Named for:''' Harriet (MacNairn) Irving (1899 - 1976), wife of New Brunswick industrialist K.C. Irving.
  
'''Renovations/additions:''' Changes were made to the first floor in 1983 which improved information and reference finding capabilities. In 1988 interior was re-organized to put stacks into better-suited positions. Refurbishment of the H. R. Stewart Exhibition Room was completed Fall 2000. The renovation of the ground floor created the John B. MacNair Learning Commons, which officially opened 25 May 2009, featured a group study rooms, a new service desk, a cafe, and a research and technology help desk.
+
'''Renovations/additions:''' Changes were made to the first floor in 1983 which improved information and reference finding capabilities. In 1988 interior was re-organized to put stacks into better-suited positions. Refurbishment of the H. R. Stewart Exhibition Room was completed Fall 2000. The renovation of the ground floor created the John B. MacNair Learning Commons, which officially opened 25 May 2009, featured a group study rooms, a service desk, a cafe, and a research and technology help desk. Opened in fall 2020 (official opening 29 Nov, 2021) and funded by the Arthur L. Irving Family Foundation, the Harriet Irving Library Research Commons is a modern, inter-disciplinary, research-driven learning environment to further innovation, scholarship, and research is located on the third floor.
  
 
'''Notes:''' The Harriet Irving Library is the main library at UNB Fredericton. The Beaverbrook Room on the fourth floor houses many first-edition publications donated by Lord Beaverbrook. The H.R. Stewart Room was named during the official opening of the library in 1967. The Harriet Irving Library was the site of student demonstrations during the [[Strax_Affair|Strax Affair]] in September 1968. On 15 May 1980 the Nan Vesta Gregg Room was officially opened. During National Archives Week the Winslow Room, part of the Archives & Special Collections Department, was officially opened on 22 October 1984. Portraits of Bliss Carman and Alden Nowlan were unveiled on 15 May 1968 and 18 March 2009 respectively. Branch Libraries include the [[Engineering_Library|Engineering Library]], [[Law_Library|Law Library]], [[Science_and_Forestry_Library|Science Library]], and [[UNB_Saint_John|UNB Saint John]]'s library, the [[Hans_W._Klohn_Commons_(UNBSJ)|Hans W. Klohn Commons]].
 
'''Notes:''' The Harriet Irving Library is the main library at UNB Fredericton. The Beaverbrook Room on the fourth floor houses many first-edition publications donated by Lord Beaverbrook. The H.R. Stewart Room was named during the official opening of the library in 1967. The Harriet Irving Library was the site of student demonstrations during the [[Strax_Affair|Strax Affair]] in September 1968. On 15 May 1980 the Nan Vesta Gregg Room was officially opened. During National Archives Week the Winslow Room, part of the Archives & Special Collections Department, was officially opened on 22 October 1984. Portraits of Bliss Carman and Alden Nowlan were unveiled on 15 May 1968 and 18 March 2009 respectively. Branch Libraries include the [[Engineering_Library|Engineering Library]], [[Law_Library|Law Library]], [[Science_and_Forestry_Library|Science Library]], and [[UNB_Saint_John|UNB Saint John]]'s library, the [[Hans_W._Klohn_Commons_(UNBSJ)|Hans W. Klohn Commons]].

Revision as of 14:38, 19 August 2022

Building Name: Harriet Irving Library

Harriet Irving Library, [after 1967]. PR; Series 1; Sub-series 5; Item 6910.

Other Names: New Library, the HIL

Civic Address: 5 Macaulay Lane

Sod Turning: 20 May 1965 by K.C. Irving

Cornerstone Laying: 18 May 1966 by Harriet Irving

Opened for Use: 8 May 1967

Official Opening: 11 October 1967 by Harriet Irving

Architect: Larson and Larson

Named for: Harriet (MacNairn) Irving (1899 - 1976), wife of New Brunswick industrialist K.C. Irving.

Renovations/additions: Changes were made to the first floor in 1983 which improved information and reference finding capabilities. In 1988 interior was re-organized to put stacks into better-suited positions. Refurbishment of the H. R. Stewart Exhibition Room was completed Fall 2000. The renovation of the ground floor created the John B. MacNair Learning Commons, which officially opened 25 May 2009, featured a group study rooms, a service desk, a cafe, and a research and technology help desk. Opened in fall 2020 (official opening 29 Nov, 2021) and funded by the Arthur L. Irving Family Foundation, the Harriet Irving Library Research Commons is a modern, inter-disciplinary, research-driven learning environment to further innovation, scholarship, and research is located on the third floor.

Notes: The Harriet Irving Library is the main library at UNB Fredericton. The Beaverbrook Room on the fourth floor houses many first-edition publications donated by Lord Beaverbrook. The H.R. Stewart Room was named during the official opening of the library in 1967. The Harriet Irving Library was the site of student demonstrations during the Strax Affair in September 1968. On 15 May 1980 the Nan Vesta Gregg Room was officially opened. During National Archives Week the Winslow Room, part of the Archives & Special Collections Department, was officially opened on 22 October 1984. Portraits of Bliss Carman and Alden Nowlan were unveiled on 15 May 1968 and 18 March 2009 respectively. Branch Libraries include the Engineering Library, Law Library, Science Library, and UNB Saint John's library, the Hans W. Klohn Commons.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 133; Section 3.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014