Difference between revisions of "Hammerfest"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
Line 3: Line 3:
 
'''Previous/other names:'''
 
'''Previous/other names:'''
  
'''Origins:''' In 1911, Professor Miller of the [[Department_of_Forestry|Department of Forestry]] suggested that the annual dinner of the [[Forestry_Association|Forestry Club]] be called Hammerfest, a name that was thereafter embraced by Forestry students. The event originally took place annually in the spring, but was moved to the fall in 1948.
+
'''Origins:''' In 1911, Professor Miller of the [[Department_of_Forestry|Department of Forestry]] suggested that the annual dinner of the [[Forestry_Association|Forestry Club]] be called Hammerfest, a name that was thereafter embraced by Forestry students. The event originally took place annually in the spring but was moved to the fall in 1948.
  
'''History:''' The "time-honored institution" known as Hammerfest began as an annual dinner hosted until 1912 in the office of Mrs. McLeod.
+
'''History:''' The "time-honored institution," known as Hammerfest, began as an annual dinner hosted until 1912 in the office of Mrs. McLeod.
  
In the mid-1940s the event was held at Mr. Woodbridge's camp, known as "The Queen of the Forest," to which students and faculty of the [[Department_of_Forestry|Department of Forestry]], as well as some guest Foresters, venture in the early evening for an out-of-doors dinner served by the Freshmen. Musical entertainment during the dinner consisted of a small orchestra, while the meal was followed by a speech and several rounds of jokes before breaking up around 9:00 PM.
+
In the mid-1940s the event was held at Mr. Woodbridge's camp, known as "The Queen of the Forest"; students and faculty of the [[Department_of_Forestry|Department of Forestry]] (as well as some guest Foresters) would venture here in the early evening for an out-of-doors dinner served by the Freshmen. Musical entertainment during the dinner consisted of a small orchestra, while the meal was followed by a speech and several rounds of jokes before breaking up around 9:00 PM.
  
 
'''Notes:&nbsp;'''<span style="line-height: 1.6">There is evidence that suggests Hammerfest gradually became an increasingly rowdier affair, evolving from an annual dinner to more of a party.</span>
 
'''Notes:&nbsp;'''<span style="line-height: 1.6">There is evidence that suggests Hammerfest gradually became an increasingly rowdier affair, evolving from an annual dinner to more of a party.</span>

Revision as of 15:09, 14 January 2016

Hammerfest: Greg Sheppard and Rick Perron with others not identified. PR; Series 1; Sub-series 4; Item 6506

Date(s) of occurrence: 1908 (Officially named Hammerfest in 1911) -

Previous/other names:

Origins: In 1911, Professor Miller of the Department of Forestry suggested that the annual dinner of the Forestry Club be called Hammerfest, a name that was thereafter embraced by Forestry students. The event originally took place annually in the spring but was moved to the fall in 1948.

History: The "time-honored institution," known as Hammerfest, began as an annual dinner hosted until 1912 in the office of Mrs. McLeod.

In the mid-1940s the event was held at Mr. Woodbridge's camp, known as "The Queen of the Forest"; students and faculty of the Department of Forestry (as well as some guest Foresters) would venture here in the early evening for an out-of-doors dinner served by the Freshmen. Musical entertainment during the dinner consisted of a small orchestra, while the meal was followed by a speech and several rounds of jokes before breaking up around 9:00 PM.

Notes: There is evidence that suggests Hammerfest gradually became an increasingly rowdier affair, evolving from an annual dinner to more of a party.


Source(s):

  • The Brunswickan: Forestry Issue, vol. 62, no. 15, 9 October 1942, p. 3.
  • Forestry Brunswickan, vol. 71, no. 5, 7 November 1951, p. 1.
  • Bryant, David G. (ed). The Fiftieth Anniversary of the Faculty of Forestry at the University of New Brunswick 1908-1958. Fredericton: The U.N.B. Forestry Association, 1958, p. 77.
  • Up the Hill, 1949, p. 154.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014