Forestry and Geology Building
Building Name: Forestry and Geology Building
Other Names: FNG
Civic Address: 2 Bailey Dr.
Sod Turning: May 1929
Cornerstone Laying: 1929
Opened for Use: September 1930
Official Opening: 12 May 1931 (dedication) by then Premier J.B.M Baxter ; 25 October 1972 (dedication of research wing)
Architect: H. Claire Mott
Named for: Housing the faculties of Forestry and Geology.
Renovations/changes/additions: In fourth floor added in 1947/1948. The MacKenzie Research Wing, a four story extension wing, was opened in January 1970 and was built to serve teaching and research purposes, including laboratories and classroom space. A.L. McAllister Conference Room dedicated to Dr. McAllister (12 September 2003)
Notes: Home to the Department of Forestry, Forest Engineering, Entomology, Geology and Geophysics. Originally built at 30,000 square feet and 156 feet by 86 feet, construction on an addition to the building was halted for a week in 1969 when a labour dispute caused members of the International Union of Bricklayers, Masons and Plasterers to walk off the job.
- Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 42-43.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 73.
- UA Case 123, Box 1.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), July 1969 - September 1969.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1930.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012