Difference between revisions of "Forestry and Geology Building"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with " '''Building Name:''' Forestry and Geology Buildingthumb|400x311px|right|Forestry and Geology Building, 1947. UA PC 9 no. 28 (1). '''Ot...")
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
+
'''Building Name:''' Forestry and Geology Building[[File:Forestry geology building.jpg|thumb|right|400x311px|Forestry and Geology Building, 1947. UA PC 9 no. 28 (1).]]
'''Building Name:''' Forestry and Geology Building[[File:forestry_geology_building.jpg|thumb|400x311px|right|Forestry and Geology Building, 1947. UA PC 9 no. 28 (1).]]
 
  
 
'''Other Names:''' FNG
 
'''Other Names:''' FNG
Line 12: Line 11:
 
'''Opened for Use:''' September 1930
 
'''Opened for Use:''' September 1930
  
'''Official Opening:''' 12 May 1931 (dedication) by then Premier J.B.M Baxter ; 25 October 1972 (dedication of research wing)
+
'''Official Opening:''' 12 May 1931 (dedication) by then Premier J.B.M Baxter ; 25 October 1972 (dedication of research wing)
  
 
'''Architect:''' H. Claire Mott
 
'''Architect:''' H. Claire Mott
Line 23: Line 22:
  
 
'''Source(s):'''
 
'''Source(s):'''
* Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 42-43.
 
* <span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Montague, Susan. ''A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick''. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 73.</span>
 
* UA Case 123, Box 1.
 
* UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), July 1969 - September 1969.
 
* UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1930.
 
  
 +
*Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 42-43.
 +
*<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Montague, Susan. ''A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick''. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 73.</span>
 +
*UA Case 123, Box 1.
 +
*UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), July 1969 - September 1969.
 +
*UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1930.
 +
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Fredericton]][[Category:Department of Forestry and Environmental Management]][[Category:Department of Earth Sciences]]
 
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012
 
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012

Revision as of 07:30, 30 May 2014

Building Name: Forestry and Geology Building

Forestry and Geology Building, 1947. UA PC 9 no. 28 (1).

Other Names: FNG

Civic Address: 2 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: May 1929

Cornerstone Laying: 1929

Opened for Use: September 1930

Official Opening: 12 May 1931 (dedication) by then Premier J.B.M Baxter ; 25 October 1972 (dedication of research wing)

Architect: H. Claire Mott

Named for: Housing the faculties of Forestry and Geology.

Renovations/changes/additions: In fourth floor added in 1947/1948. The MacKenzie Research Wing, a four story extension wing, was opened in January 1970 and was built to serve teaching and research purposes, including laboratories and classroom space. A.L. McAllister Conference Room dedicated to Dr. McAllister (12 September 2003)

Notes: Home to the Department of Forestry, Forest Engineering, Entomology, Geology and Geophysics. Originally built at 30,000 square feet and 156 feet by 86 feet, construction on an addition to the building was halted for a week in 1969 when a labour dispute caused members of the International Union of Bricklayers, Masons and Plasterers to walk off the job.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 42-43.
  • Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 73.
  • UA Case 123, Box 1.
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), July 1969 - September 1969.
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1930.

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012