Difference between revisions of "Engineering Building"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (linking)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Building Name:''' Engineering Building[[File:Engineering building.jpg|thumb|right|480x325px]]
+
'''Building Name:''' Engineering Building[[File:Engineering building.jpg|thumb|right|480x325px|Engineering building.jpg]]
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Science and Engineering Building; Civil and Mechanical Engineering Building.
 
'''Other Names:''' Science and Engineering Building; Civil and Mechanical Engineering Building.
Line 17: Line 17:
 
'''Named for:''' Being the first building to house sciences and engineering.
 
'''Named for:''' Being the first building to house sciences and engineering.
  
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Interior remodeled and hydraulics laboratory added to the building (1924); an addition in 1957 joined together the two existing engineering buildings, and was designed by UNB professors [[Ira_Beattie|Ira Beattie]], [[Robert_H.B._McLaughlin|Robert H.B. McLaughlin]], [[Howard_McFarlane|Howard McFarlane]], and [[Albert_Stevens|Albert Stevens]], in conjunction with Associated Designers and Inspectors (ADI) Ltd.
+
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Interior remodeled and hydraulics laboratory added to the building (1924); an addition in 1957 joined together the two existing engineering buildings, and was designed by UNB professors [[Ira Beattie|Ira Beattie]], [[Robert H.B. McLaughlin|Robert H.B. McLaughlin]], [[Howard McFarlane|Howard McFarlane]], and [[Albert Stevens|Albert Stevens]], in conjunction with Associated Designers and Inspectors (ADI) Ltd.
  
 
'''Notes:''' A time capsule was placed under the cornerstone in 1900. The building is now a section of the engineering complex [[Sir Edmund Head Hall|Head Hall]].
 
'''Notes:''' A time capsule was placed under the cornerstone in 1900. The building is now a section of the engineering complex [[Sir Edmund Head Hall|Head Hall]].
Line 28: Line 28:
 
*UA Case 123; Section 1; Chronological Listing of Buildings.
 
*UA Case 123; Section 1; Chronological Listing of Buildings.
  
{{Copyright}}
+
{{Copyright}}<br/><br/>
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Fredericton]]<br/>[[Category:Faculty of Engineering|Engineering]]<br/>[[Category:Department of Mechanical Engineering|Engineering]]
+
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Fredericton]]<br/>[[Category:Faculty of Engineering|Engineering]]<br/>[[Category:Department of Mechanical Engineering|Engineering]] [[Category:UNB Fredericton]]

Revision as of 10:56, 23 July 2015

Building Name: Engineering Building

Engineering building.jpg

Other Names: Science and Engineering Building; Civil and Mechanical Engineering Building.

Civic Address: 17 Dineen Dr.

Sod Turning: May 1900

Cornerstone Laying: 31 May 1900

Opened for Use: 1901

Official Opening: 26 March 1901

Architect: G. Ernest Fairweather (original building); ADI, Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Albert Stevens (connecting addition to Electrical Engineering Building)

Named for: Being the first building to house sciences and engineering.

Renovations/changes/additions: Interior remodeled and hydraulics laboratory added to the building (1924); an addition in 1957 joined together the two existing engineering buildings, and was designed by UNB professors Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Howard McFarlane, and Albert Stevens, in conjunction with Associated Designers and Inspectors (ADI) Ltd.

Notes: A time capsule was placed under the cornerstone in 1900. The building is now a section of the engineering complex Head Hall.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 32-35.
  • Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 59, 154.
  • UA Case 123; Section 3; Head Hall.
  • UA Case 123; Section 1; Chronological Listing of Buildings.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014