Difference between revisions of "Connell Memorial Herbarium"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
m
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:PR6821.jpg|thumb|right|Lucy Connell Dyer unveiling her mother's portrait at the Connell Memorial Herbarium opening ceremony]]
+
[[File:PR6821.jpg|right|Lucy Connell Dyer unveiling her mother's portrait at the Connell Memorial Herbarium opening ceremony]]
 
<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">'''Building Name:''' Connell Memorial Herbarium</span>
 
<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">'''Building Name:''' Connell Memorial Herbarium</span>
  

Revision as of 11:47, 15 March 2022

Lucy Connell Dyer unveiling her mother's portrait at the Connell Memorial Herbarium opening ceremony

Building Name: Connell Memorial Herbarium

Other Names: Herbarium

Civic Address: Rooms 17 & 19, 10 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning:N/A

Cornerstone Laying:N/A

Opened for Use:Unknown

Official Opening: 1966

Architect:N/A

Named for: Dr. Katherine M. Connell (née Jarvis), UNB Alumna (1921), whose collection of New Brunswick plants was donated to UNB in 1972.

Renovations/changes/additions: Renamed the Connell Memorial Herbarium on October 13, 1976.

Notes: Located in Loring Bailey Hall, the Herbarium houses specimens dating back to 1837. When James Robb became the first lecturer in Chemistry and Natural History at King's College (later the University of New Brunswick), he began collecting the plants of New Brunswick, forming the foundation for the Herbarium's collection. The Herbarium is the oldest institutional collection of plant specimens in Canada.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Herbarium.
  • Susan Montague. "Work Bears Fruit at Herbarium." Perspectives 8(8), May 1982.
  • Young, C. Mary. The Connell Memorial Herbarium, 1838-1985. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1986. QK77 .C66 Y68.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014