Difference between revisions of "Connell Memorial Herbarium"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
m
 
(4 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">'''Building Name:''' Connell Memorial Herbarium</span>
+
[[File:PR6821.jpg|right|Lucy Connell Dyer unveiling her mother's portrait at the Connell Memorial Herbarium re-naming ceremony. PR6821]]
 +
'''Building Name:''' Connell Memorial Herbarium
  
<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">'''Other Names:''' Herbarium</span>
+
'''Other Names:''' Herbarium
  
<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">'''Civic Address:''' Rooms 17 & 19, 10 Bailey Dr.</span>
+
'''Civic Address:''' Rooms 17 & 19, 10 Bailey Dr.
  
'''<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">Sod Turning:</span>'''<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">N/A</span>
+
'''Sod Turning:''' N/A
  
'''<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">Cornerstone Laying:</span>'''<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">N/A</span>
+
'''Cornerstone Laying:''' N/A
  
'''<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">Opened for Use:</span>'''<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">Unknown</span>
+
'''Opened for Use:''' Unknown
  
<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">'''Official Opening:''' 1966</span>
+
'''Official Opening:''' 1966
  
'''<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">Architect:</span>'''<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">N/A</span>
+
'''Architect:''' N/A
  
<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">'''Named for:''' Dr. Katherine M. Connell (née Jarvis), UNB Alumna (1921), whose collection of New Brunswick plants was donated to UNB in 1972.</span>
+
'''Named for:''' Dr. Katharine M. Connell (née Jarvis), UNB Alumna (1921), whose collection of New Brunswick plants was donated to UNB in 1972.
  
<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Renamed the Connell Memorial Herbarium on October 13, 1976.</span>
+
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Renamed the Connell Memorial Herbarium on October 13, 1976.
 +
 
 +
'''Plaque Inscription:''' The University of New Brunswick Connell Memorial Herbarium. Dr. Katharine M. Connell, BA, MA, PhD. 1899-1973. Dr. Connell's collection of the plants of Carleton County, New Brunswick were housed in this Herbarium as a permanent tribute to an outstanding mother, educator and botanist. The University of New Brunswick was renamed in her honor on this date October 13, 1976.
  
 
'''Notes:''' Located in [[Loring_Bailey_Hall|Loring Bailey Hall]], the Herbarium houses specimens dating back to 1837. When James Robb became the first lecturer in Chemistry and Natural History at [[Brief_History_of_UNB#King's_College_(1828_-_1859)|King's College]] (later the University of New Brunswick), he began collecting the plants of New Brunswick, forming the foundation for the Herbarium's collection. The Herbarium is the oldest institutional collection of plant specimens in Canada.
 
'''Notes:''' Located in [[Loring_Bailey_Hall|Loring Bailey Hall]], the Herbarium houses specimens dating back to 1837. When James Robb became the first lecturer in Chemistry and Natural History at [[Brief_History_of_UNB#King's_College_(1828_-_1859)|King's College]] (later the University of New Brunswick), he began collecting the plants of New Brunswick, forming the foundation for the Herbarium's collection. The Herbarium is the oldest institutional collection of plant specimens in Canada.

Latest revision as of 13:42, 16 March 2022

Lucy Connell Dyer unveiling her mother's portrait at the Connell Memorial Herbarium re-naming ceremony. PR6821

Building Name: Connell Memorial Herbarium

Other Names: Herbarium

Civic Address: Rooms 17 & 19, 10 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: N/A

Cornerstone Laying: N/A

Opened for Use: Unknown

Official Opening: 1966

Architect: N/A

Named for: Dr. Katharine M. Connell (née Jarvis), UNB Alumna (1921), whose collection of New Brunswick plants was donated to UNB in 1972.

Renovations/changes/additions: Renamed the Connell Memorial Herbarium on October 13, 1976.

Plaque Inscription: The University of New Brunswick Connell Memorial Herbarium. Dr. Katharine M. Connell, BA, MA, PhD. 1899-1973. Dr. Connell's collection of the plants of Carleton County, New Brunswick were housed in this Herbarium as a permanent tribute to an outstanding mother, educator and botanist. The University of New Brunswick was renamed in her honor on this date October 13, 1976.

Notes: Located in Loring Bailey Hall, the Herbarium houses specimens dating back to 1837. When James Robb became the first lecturer in Chemistry and Natural History at King's College (later the University of New Brunswick), he began collecting the plants of New Brunswick, forming the foundation for the Herbarium's collection. The Herbarium is the oldest institutional collection of plant specimens in Canada.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Herbarium.
  • Susan Montague. "Work Bears Fruit at Herbarium." Perspectives 8(8), May 1982.
  • Young, C. Mary. The Connell Memorial Herbarium, 1838-1985. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1986. QK77 .C66 Y68.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014